Buy 7 Pencils & Notebooks with \$15 - Solve Inequalities

• MHB
  • Thread starter rebo1984
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Inequalities
In summary: Thank you for explaining it in a different way.In summary, there are multiple ways to look at the problem of buying pencils and notebooks with \$15. One solution is to buy 7 pencils and 7 notebooks, while another is to buy 9 pencils and 7 notebooks, leaving \$1 leftover. Using Diophantine equations, there are 11 possible combinations for the number of pencils and notebooks, ranging from 10 notebooks and 0 pencils to 0 notebooks and 30 pencils.
rebo1984
I have \$15 to buy pencils and notebooks from a bookstore. If pencils are
\$0.50 each and a notebook costs \$1.50, then how many pencils and
notebooks can I buy if I spent all of the money?

I reasoned: .5x+1.5x=15
x= 7.5
So 7 notebooks and 7 pencils.

Is this correct?Thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
But, you don't spend all of your money...you will have a dollar left over. So, you could by 9 pencils and 7 notebooks.

If you let $P$ be the number of pencils and $N$ be the number of notebooks, you obtain he Diophantine equation:

\(\displaystyle P+3N=30\)

This has the integer solutions:

\(\displaystyle P=3n\)

\(\displaystyle N=10-n\)

where \(\displaystyle 0\le n\le10\) and $n\in\mathbb{Z}$

This gives you 11 combinations that will work by letting $n$ rage over the integers from 0 to 10.

Another way to look at it is to observe that you could buy 10 notebooks for \$15. Then for every notebook you "put back" you can add 3 pencils to your cart. :)

MarkFL said:
But, you don't spend all of your money...you will have a dollar left over. So, you could by 9 pencils and 7 notebooks.

If you let $P$ be the number of pencils and $N$ be the number of notebooks, you obtain he Diophantine equation:

\(\displaystyle P+3N=30\)

This has the integer solutions:

\(\displaystyle P=3n\)

\(\displaystyle N=10-n\)

where \(\displaystyle 0\le n\le10\) and $n\in\mathbb{Z}$

This gives you 11 combinations that will work by letting $n$ rage over the integers from 0 to 10.

Another way to look at it is to observe that you could buy 10 notebooks for \$15. Then for every notebook you "put back" you can add 3 pencils to your cart. :)

Im not sure i understand how you derived those equations and what they mean.

rebo1984 said:
Im not sure i understand how you derived those equations and what they mean.

Perhaps you are not familiar with Diophantine Equations... (I didn't learn about them until I got into number theory), but focus instead on my analogy of putting 10 notebooks into your cart. That's one solution, and it will cost all of the \$15 you have. Now, for each notebook you put back, you can replace with 3 pencils, since 3 pencils cost the same as a notebook. So, the 11 possible solutions are:

\(\displaystyle (N,P)=(10,0),\,(9,3),\,(8,6),\,(7,9),\,(6,12),\,(5,15),\,(4,18),\,(3,21),\,(2,24),\,(1,27),\,(0,30)\)

Does that make sense?

Yes, that makes sense. And you're right: I'm not familiar with those equations.

1. How can I purchase 7 pencils and notebooks with $15?

To purchase 7 pencils and notebooks with $15, you can divide the total amount by the number of items you want to buy. In this case, you will need to spend $2.14 on each pencil and notebook set.

2. What are the inequalities involved in this problem?

The inequalities involved in this problem are 7x + 7y ≤ 15, where x represents the cost of one pencil and y represents the cost of one notebook, and x ≥ 0 and y ≥ 0 to ensure non-negative prices.

3. Can I buy more than 7 pencils and notebooks with $15?

No, you cannot buy more than 7 pencils and notebooks with $15. The total cost of 7 pencils and notebooks is $14, leaving only $1 for additional items. Therefore, you cannot purchase any additional items without exceeding the given budget of $15.

4. What is the solution to this inequality problem?

The solution to this inequality problem is x = 2.14 and y = 0.86. This means that each pencil costs $2.14 and each notebook costs $0.86, and the total cost of 7 pencils and notebooks is $14, leaving $1 for additional items.

5. How can I solve this inequality problem?

To solve this inequality problem, you can use a variety of methods such as graphing, substitution, or elimination. In this case, substitution would be the most efficient method, as you can solve for one variable and then use that value to solve for the other variable.