Buy Neodymium Magnets for Inducing Current on a Budget

• Thread starter bigmack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnetic
In summary, the speaker is working on a project involving magnets and inducing current on a budget. They need neodymium magnets and have found a website selling N50 grade magnets with different pull forces, possibly due to size differences. The speaker concludes that the bigger the magnet, the stronger the pulling force, but wonders if the same amount of current will be generated by both magnets. They also ask for an equation to calculate the current and inquire about the effect of joining multiple smaller magnets. Another person suggests using an online calculator for calculating pull and push forces.
bigmack
Ok so I'm working on a project involving magnets and inducing current. Thing is that I'm on a budget and need to make sure that I buy the right things.

For my project I'm going to need neodymium magnets. Using the magnets I'm going to induce current.

I found a website selling magnets. It has different types of N50 grade magnets. What I want to know is, if all the magnets are N50 grade, then how come they have different pull forces. I think it might have to do with the sizes... because one of the magnets is 2"X2"X1" and it has an approximate pull force of 250 lbs, an other magnet is a cube with a side being an eighth of an inch, it has a pull force of 2.5 lbs. Both these magnets are N50 and are 14,500 gauss.

I'm going to conclude that the bigger the magnet, the stronger pulling force it has.
But since both magnets have the same gauss, does it mean that both magnets would generate the same amount of current? Would one of the magnets produce more current than the other?

Oh, and can someone please give me an equation for working out the current that is generated. Using a coil to cut the fields, and a single wire, please.

Oh and yeah, if I got 10 of the smaller magnets, and joined them together, then would their pull force increase, would it increase proportionally, so that if I joined an infinite number of the small magnets, the pulling forcec would increase infinitely in proportion?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try this on-line pull calculator
http://www.dextermag.com/Calculation.aspx?mode=input&id=ForceCalcCylinder
Bob S

Last edited by a moderator:
bigmack said:
Ok so I'm working on a project involving magnets and inducing current. Thing is that I'm on a budget and need to make sure that I buy the right things.

For my project I'm going to need neodymium magnets. Using the magnets I'm going to induce current.

I found a website selling magnets. It has different types of N50 grade magnets. What I want to know is, if all the magnets are N50 grade, then how come they have different pull forces. I think it might have to do with the sizes... because one of the magnets is 2"X2"X1" and it has an approximate pull force of 250 lbs, an other magnet is a cube with a side being an eighth of an inch, it has a pull force of 2.5 lbs. Both these magnets are N50 and are 14,500 gauss.

I'm going to conclude that the bigger the magnet, the stronger pulling force it has.
But since both magnets have the same gauss, does it mean that both magnets would generate the same amount of current? Would one of the magnets produce more current than the other?

Oh, and can someone please give me an equation for working out the current that is generated. Using a coil to cut the fields, and a single wire, please.

Oh and yeah, if I got 10 of the smaller magnets, and joined them together, then would their pull force increase, would it increase proportionally, so that if I joined an infinite number of the small magnets, the pulling forcec would increase infinitely in proportion?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok I can't help you with much more than the last part...if you go to kjmagnetics.com they have a pull and a push force calculator and you can chose the type of magnet and the size and press enter and it will calculate the pull or push force for you. Hope this helps you!

1. What are neodymium magnets and how do they induce current?

Neodymium magnets are a type of permanent magnet made from an alloy of neodymium, iron, and boron. They are known for their strong magnetic field and are often used in electronic devices. When a neodymium magnet is moved near a conductor, such as a wire, it creates a changing magnetic field which induces a current in the wire.

2. How can I use neodymium magnets to induce current on a budget?

Neodymium magnets are relatively inexpensive and can be purchased online or at hardware stores. To induce current, you can simply attach the magnet to a wire and move it near a conductor, such as a coil of wire. This is known as electromagnetic induction and is the principle behind devices like generators and motors.

3. What factors should I consider when buying neodymium magnets?

The strength of a neodymium magnet is measured in gauss or Tesla. The higher the gauss or Tesla rating, the stronger the magnet. You should also consider the size and shape of the magnet, as well as any additional coatings or platings that may be necessary for your specific application.

4. Can I use neodymium magnets to generate enough electricity for my home?

While neodymium magnets can produce electricity through electromagnetic induction, the amount of energy generated is relatively small. It would require a large number of magnets and a complex system to generate enough electricity for a home. Neodymium magnets are better suited for smaller scale projects or experiments.

5. Are there any safety precautions I should take when using neodymium magnets?

Neodymium magnets are extremely strong and can cause serious injury if mishandled. It is important to keep them away from electronic devices, credit cards, and other objects that can be affected by a strong magnetic field. They should also be kept out of reach of children and handled with caution to avoid pinching or crushing injuries.