By Continuity definition 1/0 is infinity

In summary: There's no way you could assign a value to f(0) that would make f continuous at x = 0.In summary, the conversation discusses the limit of 1/x as x approaches 0, which is infinity, but the function itself is not continuous at x=0. This is due to the fact that there is no way to extend the function to x=0 in a continuous manner. Therefore, the logic of assigning a value of infinity to 1/0 is flawed.
NotASmurf
lim 1/x as x->0 is infinity, but the function taking it to infinity is continuous, but for continuous functions f(a)= lim f(x) as x->a, so by defininition 1/0 is infinity, what is wrong with this logic?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
1/x is not defined at x=0. This means that ##f(a)## does not exist, hence you can't appeal to continuity (continuity requires a function to be defined there).

a is 0, f=1/x

NotASmurf said:
a is 0, f=1/x
Yeah, sorry. I realized and edited my post. You replied just before I finished.

oh, 1/x, x element of R, and inf not element of R but cardinality, thanks.

Also, I want to point out
lim 1/x as x->0 is infinity
is not true. The left and right limits are not the same.

Likes NotASmurf
pwsnafu said:
Also, I want to point out

is not true. The left and right limits are not the same.

Why not? 1/x coming from the negative side to 0 should yield same result as from the positive?

NotASmurf said:
Why not? 1/x coming from the negative side to 0 should yield same result as from the positive?
No.The limit from the left is ##-\infty##. For example ##1/(-.01) = -100##

Likes NotASmurf
NotASmurf said:
but for continuous functions f(a)= lim f(x) as x->a
There is no way to extend the definition of f to x=0 in a continuous way.

NotASmurf said:
lim 1/x as x->0 is infinity, but the function taking it to infinity is continuous, but for continuous functions f(a)= lim f(x) as x->a, so by defininition 1/0 is infinity, what is wrong with this logic?
Take a look at the graph of y = 1/x. There is the worst possible kind of discontinuity at x = 0, with ##\lim_{x \to 0^-} \frac 1 x = -\infty## and ##\lim_{x \to 0^+} \frac 1 x = +\infty##.

What is the continuity definition of 1/0?

The continuity definition of 1/0 is a mathematical concept that states that when a function approaches a value of 1/0, the limit of the function is infinity.

Why is 1/0 considered infinity by continuity definition?

By the continuity definition, when a function approaches a value of 1/0, its limit becomes unbounded and thus is considered infinity.

Is 1/0 actually equal to infinity?

No, 1/0 is not actually equal to infinity. It is only considered infinity by the continuity definition, as it represents an unbounded limit of a function.

What are some real-life applications of the continuity definition of 1/0?

The continuity definition of 1/0 is commonly used in calculus and other mathematical fields to analyze the behavior of functions at certain points, such as in limits and derivatives. It also has applications in physics and engineering, where it is used to model and solve various problems.

Can the continuity definition of 1/0 be applied to all functions?

No, the continuity definition of 1/0 cannot be applied to all functions. It only applies to certain types of functions, such as continuous functions, and does not hold for functions that are undefined or discontinuous at a certain point, such as at 1/0.