Extreme value nonexistence proof

• I
  • Thread starter mcastillo356
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proof Value
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of graphing a function with an endpoint where the function does not have an extreme value. A function with no maximum or minimum at an endpoint is provided as an example to show that continuity and differentiability are not meaningless in disproving this statement. The example function is continuous on [0,∞) and differentiable on (0,∞) but does not have a local maximum or minimum at its endpoint, providing evidence that our naive expectation is not always the case.
mcastillo356
Gold Member
TL;DR Summary
Don't know if it is meaningless something said about a proof on extreme value existence
Hi, PF

"It is more difficult to draw the graph of a function whose domain has an endpoint at which the function fails to have an extreme value", states my textbook, "Calculus: A Complete Course"

A function with no max or min at an endpoint Let
##f(x)=\begin{cases}{x\sin{\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)}}&\text{si}& x>0\\0 & \text{si}& x=0\end{cases}##
Show that ##f## is continuous on ##[0,\infty)## and differentiable on ##(0, \infty)## but it has neither a local maximum nor a local minimun at the endpoint ##x=0##
I think the continuity and the differentiability are meaningless for the proof

Mathematics news on Phys.org
mcastillo356 said:
A function with no max or min at an endpoint Let
##f(x)=\begin{cases}{x\sin{\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)}}&\text{si}& x>0\\0 & \text{si}& x=0\end{cases}##
Show that ##f## is continuous on ##[0,\infty)## and differentiable on ##(0, \infty)## but it has neither a local maximum nor a local minimun at the endpoint ##x=0##
I think the continuity and the differentiability are meaningless for the proof
Continuity and differentiability are not meaningless as a counterexample. It shows that there is even a fairly well-behaved function which is a counterexample.

Such as ##f(x)=x##, ##x\geq{0}##?
What does it mean well-behaved?

mcastillo356 said:
Such as ##f(x)=x##, ##x\geq{0}##?
What is your question about this function? It is continuous on ##[0, \infty)## and differentiable on the open interval ##(0, \infty)##. It has an absolute min. point at x = 0.
mcastillo356 said:
What does it mean well-behaved?
The example you posted is continuous on ##[0, \infty)## and differentiable on the open interval ##(0, \infty)##.

mcastillo356 said:
Summary:: Don't know if it is meaningless something said about a proof on extreme value existence

"It is more difficult to draw the graph of a function whose domain has an endpoint at which the function fails to have an extreme value"
The point is that it's very difficult to draw the graph of this function due to its wild oscillations near x = 0. So even though it is continuous for ##x \ge 0## and differentiable for ##x > 0##, it fails to have an extreme value; i.e., a maximum or minimum.

BTW, along the lines of what @FactChecker said, what you posted isn't a proof -- it is a counterexample.

FactChecker said:
Continuity and differentiability are not meaningless as a counterexample. It shows that there is even a fairly well-behaved function which is a counterexample.
A counterexample is an example that disproves a statement. What statement does disprove the function I've mentioned, i.e., ##f(x)=x## for ##x\geq{0}##.

mcastillo356 said:
What statement does disprove the function I've mentioned, i.e., ##f(x)=x## for ##x\geq{0}##.
What do you mean by "disprove the function"?
Perhaps I should not have called the ##x\sin(1/x)## function a "counterexample". It is an example of a well-behaved function (continuous on ##[0,\infty)## and with a derivative in ##(0,\infty)##) that does not have a local extreme at the endpoint ##x=0##.

Last edited:
I should have said "What function does disprove the statement at #1 post?":

There are functions like
##f(x)=\begin{cases}{x\sin{\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)}}&\text{if}&x>0\\0&\text{if}&x=0\end{cases}##
that are continuous on ##[0,\infty)##, differentiable on ##(0,\infty)##, but with neither a local max or local min at a endpoint

I'm not native
Thanks, understood!

Likes hutchphd and FactChecker
mcastillo356 said:
I should have said "What function does disprove the statement at #1 post?":

There are functions like
##f(x)=\begin{cases}{x\sin{\left(\dfrac{1}{x}\right)}}&\text{if}&x>0\\0&\text{if}&x=0\end{cases}##
that are continuous on ##[0,\infty)##, differentiable on ##(0,\infty)##, but with neither a local max or local min at a endpoint
I think that you are missing the point here. The statement in your book is

It is more difficult to draw the graph of a function whose domain has an endpoint at which the function fails to have an extreme value", states my textbook, "Calculus: A Complete Course"

The function above is nothing more than an example that confirms the statement. That is, the author has shown that such a function exists by giving its formula.

You are overthinking this, IMO.

• Informative
Likes mcastillo356
The question is: what means "that are continuous on ##[0,\infty)##, differentiable on ##(0,\infty)##, but ..."?

mcastillo356 said:
The question is: what means "that are continuous on ##[0,\infty)##, differentiable on ##(0,\infty)##, but ..."?
Do you understand what the terms continuous and differentiable mean? These terms have very specific and rigorous mathematical definitions.

The point of the example is that we would (naively) expect that a function that is both continuous on some interval and differentiable at all but the endpoint of that interval would have an extreme value there. The example provides evidence that our naive expectation isn't always the case.

Likes FactChecker

1. What is an extreme value nonexistence proof?

An extreme value nonexistence proof is a mathematical proof that shows that a certain value or extreme condition does not exist within a given system or set of data. It is used to establish the limits or boundaries of a system, and can be applied in various fields such as statistics, physics, and economics.

2. How is an extreme value nonexistence proof different from a regular proof?

An extreme value nonexistence proof is different from a regular proof in that it specifically deals with the nonexistence of a certain value or condition, rather than proving the existence of something. It often involves using counterexamples and logical reasoning to demonstrate why the extreme value or condition cannot exist within the given system.

3. What are some common applications of extreme value nonexistence proofs?

Extreme value nonexistence proofs can be applied in various fields such as risk management, decision-making, and optimization. For example, in risk management, these proofs can be used to determine the maximum possible loss or risk within a system. In decision-making, they can help establish the limits of a system or set of options. In optimization, they can be used to identify the best possible solution within a given system.

4. How do scientists use extreme value nonexistence proofs in their research?

Scientists use extreme value nonexistence proofs in their research to establish the limits and boundaries of a system or set of data. This can help them make more accurate predictions, identify potential risks or problems, and optimize their solutions. These proofs are also used to validate and support other research findings, as they provide a solid mathematical foundation for the conclusions drawn.

5. Are there any limitations to extreme value nonexistence proofs?

Like any mathematical proof, extreme value nonexistence proofs have their limitations. They are based on certain assumptions and may not hold true in all cases. Additionally, these proofs may be limited by the available data and the complexity of the system being studied. It is important for scientists to carefully consider these limitations and potential biases when using extreme value nonexistence proofs in their research.