C# breaking monochrome image down into new images.

• C#
  • Thread starter Superposed_Cat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Image Images
In summary, the individual is seeking ways to segment images into separate bitmaps based on color values. They have already applied edge detection and changed the threshold to 230, resulting in black and white "blobs". They are looking for a technique to find and copy these blobs into separate bitmaps without using external libraries. They believe the term "masking" may be relevant, but it is not quite what they are looking for. They want to crop copies of the original image based on the blobs in the filtered image. The terms that may be relevant to their task are object extraction, image segmentation, auto-cropping, and image detection.
Superposed_Cat
Hi all, c# coder here, i am seeking ways to segment images into separate bitmaps based on colour values.

I have an image, and i have already applied edge detection and changed the threshold to 230 to give me black and white "blobs". Now the issue is finding these blobs, and copying them into separate bitmaps. Now I want to do this without external libraries as this is for me to understand how it works.

Every time I Google this I get a opencv or aforge link. Does anyone know of a link or a technique name? Note: it is not breaking it down to monochrome that I seek it is separating the black from the white.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

Technology news on Phys.org
It sounds like "masking" to me.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mask_(computing )

Last edited by a moderator:
nice but not what I'm looking for. that combines to images, I'm looking to separate.

Superposed_Cat said:
nice but not what I'm looking for. that combines to images, I'm looking to separate.

I'm not sure I understand. If the image is already in black and white, isn't it technically already separated?

I don't know quite what you want, but I'm guessing that you want to crop copies of your original image based on where the blobs are in the filtered (edge-enhanced, high-contrast) image.

So, if I'm guessing correctly, your original picture has several relatively bright objects on a dark background. You apply the 230 contrast to create a mask of the object of interest, but you do an edge-enhancement first to keep the 230 contrast from trimming the objects too much.

Now you want to identify continuous white regions and draw rectangles around them so you can use those rectangles to crop copies of the original image.

Is this what you're trying to do?

-----
If I'm guessing right, the terms would be object extraction (which you have already done), image segmentation, and auto-cropping. Also, to some extent, "image detection".

Last edited:
Likes 1 person
yes scott!thanks! that is what I want. but I need to get four edge points so I can crop them.

1. What is C#?

C# is a popular programming language developed by Microsoft. It is commonly used for building desktop applications, web applications, and games.

2. How can I break a monochrome image down into new images using C#?

To break a monochrome image down into new images using C#, you can use the Bitmap class in the System.Drawing namespace. This class allows you to manipulate images and extract individual pixels to create new images.

3. Can I use C# to convert a monochrome image into color?

Yes, you can use C# to convert a monochrome image into color. You can do this by creating a new Bitmap object and setting the color of each pixel based on the grayscale value of the original image.

4. Are there any libraries or frameworks that can help with breaking down monochrome images in C#?

Yes, there are several libraries and frameworks available for C# that can assist with breaking down monochrome images. Some popular ones include ImageSharp, AForge.NET, and Emgu CV.

5. Is C# a good language for image processing?

Yes, C# can be a good language for image processing. It has a wide range of tools and libraries available and its object-oriented approach makes it easy to manipulate images. However, it may not be the best choice for high-performance image processing applications.