C language "too many arguments for format" error

In summary, the conversation is about a problem with the scanf function in the given code. The person wants to input multiple numbers at once, but the code is giving an error and not producing the desired result. The issue is with the format specifier, which needs to have one specification for each argument.
iquicck
Homework Statement
C language,Linked List
Relevant Equations
Linked List
I have a problem there,I want to Users decide a,b,c,d,e numbers.
if I write
C:
printf("enter numbers:");

scanf("%d",&a);

scanf("%d",&b);...
if ı do like that ,it has not any problem but its not effective,Program always asking number a,b,c etc.
My wish is program directly get all number in one time.
I tried this code;
C:

scanf("%d",&a,&b,&c,&d,&e);
But Program gave " too many arguments for format" error and giving wrong solution. How can ı fix this code?

Orjinal code:
C:
#include <stdio.h>

#include <stdlib.h>
// A linked list node

struct Node

{

int data;

struct Node *next;

};void push(struct Node** head_ref, int new_data)

{
    struct Node* new_node = (struct Node*) malloc(sizeof(struct Node));    new_node->data = new_data;    new_node->next = (*head_ref);    (*head_ref) = new_node;

}
void insertAfter(struct Node* prev_node, int new_data)

{
    if (prev_node == NULL)

{

printf("the given previous node cannot be NULL");

return;

}    struct Node* new_node =(struct Node*) malloc(sizeof(struct Node));    new_node->data = new_data;    new_node->next = prev_node->next;    prev_node->next = new_node;

}void append(struct Node** head_ref, int new_data)

{
    struct Node* new_node = (struct Node*) malloc(sizeof(struct Node));
    struct Node *last = *head_ref;    new_node->data = new_data;    new_node->next = NULL;    if (*head_ref == NULL)

{

*head_ref = new_node;

return;

}    while (last->next != NULL)

last = last->next;
    last->next = new_node;

return;

}void printList(struct Node *node)

{

while (node != NULL)

{

printf(" %d ", node->data);

node = node->next;

}

}int main()

{
int a,b,c,d,e;struct Node* head = NULL;

scanf("%d",&a,&b,&c,&d,&e); // The Problem is Here!

append(&head,a);

push(&head, b);push(&head, c);
;

append(&head, d);insertAfter(head->next, e);
printf("\n Created Linked List: ");

printList(head);
return 0;

}

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The format specifier has to have one specification for each argument, e.g.,
C:
scanf ("%d%d", &a, &b);

Likes iquicck

1. What does the "too many arguments for format" error mean in C language?

The "too many arguments for format" error in C language means that there are more arguments provided in a function than the format string expects. This can happen when the number of arguments in the function call does not match the number of format specifiers in the format string.

2. How can I fix the "too many arguments for format" error in my C program?

To fix the "too many arguments for format" error, you need to make sure that the number of arguments in the function call matches the number of format specifiers in the format string. If you have extra arguments, you can either remove them or add more format specifiers in the format string to match the number of arguments.

3. Can the "too many arguments for format" error be caused by incorrect data types?

Yes, the "too many arguments for format" error can be caused by incorrect data types. If the data types of the arguments in the function call do not match the data types specified in the format string, it can result in this error. Make sure to use the correct data types in both the function call and the format string.

4. Is it possible to get the "too many arguments for format" error for a printf() function?

Yes, it is possible to get the "too many arguments for format" error for a printf() function. This error can occur for any function that uses a format string and expects a certain number of arguments. Make sure to check the number of arguments in the printf() function call and the format string to avoid this error.

5. Are there any debugging techniques for the "too many arguments for format" error in C language?

Yes, there are some debugging techniques that can help you identify and fix the "too many arguments for format" error in C language. You can use a debugger to step through your code and see where the error is occurring. You can also try printing out the values of your arguments and format specifiers to make sure they match. Additionally, you can use compiler warnings to catch potential errors before running your program.