C Newbie Help: Strings, Arrays, Getline() & Sscanf() - Urgent (Due Monday)

In summary, the function is supposed to take an input of "time" and store it into an array called "time[]". The first line is the time, which is copied into an array called "time". The second to fourth lines are required to check that the first two characters before the colon are between a-z, A-Z, 0-9, plus the character after the first colon is positive. After the first colon, the characters after the second colon can only be chosen from a few specific characters. The characters after the third colon can only be 'g', 'G', 'p', or 'P'. The first character of the input line is compared to the
subwaybusker
I am required to use getline() and sscanf() somewhere in my function to read standard input and store it into arrays.
I have input like this:

10/10/08 12:00
A1:2.31:1:P
2B:1.98:2:g
2b:1.82:3:b

the first line is the time, which i used strcpy to copy it to an array called time[]
the second to fourth lines i am required to check that the first two characters before the colon are between a-z, A-Z, 0-9, plus i need to store it in a two dimensional array which i have no idea how. The characters after the first colon need to be to 2 decimal places only and positive, the characters after the second colon need to be positive, and the character after the third colon can only be chosen from a few specific characters.
So far i have this in my function:

int c;
int a=0;
while((getline(line, NUM))>0)
if (line[2]=='/')
strcpy(time, line);
else strcpy(purchaseline, line);
/*don't know how to filter out the characters that don't meet the requirements. maybe use a for loop? maybe i could declare 5 new int/chars so that sscanf can store the input there, and then i could test the condition of the values stored in these int/chars and choose to store them in the actual name, price, quantity, taxtype arrays?*/
sscanf(purchaseline, "%c%c:%0.2lf:%d:%c", name+a, name+a+1, price+a, quantity+a, taxtype+a);

/*name, price, quantity, and purchaseline are all arrays*/

this is basically the boiled down version of the assignment i think
if anyone has time to read more about the assignment, the link is here:
http://www.megaupload.com/?d=D9BDOK1N

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You need to store what in a 2d array?
3d arrays aren't directly part of 'c' - you can either make an array of arrays, or if you know how many elements are on each line you can make a struct to hold these values and then make an array of these structs. Or you can store separate 1d arrays for each element in the line.

To find out if a character is in a range you can either compare the character values directly to the values A-Z or you can see the isalpha,isnum and isalphanum() functions.

Your sscanf line is completely wrong. You might want to find an example of scanf() on the net.

hint - put your code in CODE tags - it makes it much easier to read.
Code:
int a

thanks for the quick reply

i am given an array called name[NUM][2]
for a given input line, I am to store the first two letters, eg. A1, such that

Code:
name[0][0]='A';
name[0][1]='1';

and i am also not sure what is wrong with my sscanf. i was given the following example in class:

Code:
char c;
int i;
double db;
char s[80], outstring[80],
*instring=“a 100 -1.23 This is a sample data”;
sscanf(instring,“%c%d%lf%s”, &c, &i, &db, s);
//Then c=‘a’, i=100, db=-1.23, s=“This”

however, i made some changes to it just now and now it looks like this:

Code:
 int c;
 int a=0,b=0;
 char name1;
 char name2;
 double price1=0;
 unsigned int quantity=0;
 char taxtype;

while((getline(line, NUM))>0){
    if (line[2]=='/')
        strcpy(time, line);
 }
sscanf(purchaseline, "%c%c:%0.2lf:%d:%c", &name1, &name2, &price1, &quantity, &taxtype);

if ((name1>='a'&& name1<='z')||(name1>='A'&& name1<='Z')||(name1>='0'&& name1<='9')){
    if ((name2>='a'&& name2<='z')||(name2>='A'&& name2<='Z')||(name2>='0'&& name2<='9')){
        if (price1>0){
            name[a][0]=name1;
            name[a][1]=name2;
            price[a]=price1;
            if (taxtype=='g' || taxtype=='G')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else if (taxtype=='p' || taxtype=='P')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else if (taxtype=='b' || taxtype=='B')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else
                tax_type[a++]='N';
        }
    }
 }

Mostly the right idea:

You are looping over all the input lines but only processing the last one after the loop exits.
You need to put the parsing code inside the loop inplace of the secondstring copy.
Or better, put it in a function that takes a string as the input and call it from inside the loop.

ps. You haven't defined time or purchase line.
pps. time isn't a good name - there is a library call called time() that returns the time!
It doesn't matter to your code butwill confuse people.

sorry, i have no idea what you meant by

"You need to put the parsing code inside the loop inplace of the secondstring copy.
Or better, put it in a function that takes a string as the input and call it from inside the loop."

i put the huge chunk from sscanf onwards inside the while loop. and time and purchaseline were also given arrays. they are declared as static arrays along with name, price, quantity, etc.

What you are doing is

1, read line
2, copy line into purchaseline, overwriting previous purchase line
3, repeat from 1
4, When all lines done split purchaseline (note this is just the last purchaseline)

What you meant to do is
1, read line
2, copy line into purchaseline, split purchaseline
3, repeat from 1

does this look good now? this is my entire function

Code:
void purchase(void)
{
 int c;
 int a=0,b=0;
 char name1;
 char name2;
 double price1=0;
 unsigned int quantity=0;
 char taxtype;

while((getline(line, NUM))>0){
    if (line[2]=='/')
        strcpy(time, line);

sscanf(purchaseline, "%c%c:%0.2lf:%d:%c", &name1, &name2, &price1, &quantity, &taxtype);

if ((name1>='a'&& name1<='z')||(name1>='A'&& name1<='Z')||(name1>='0'&& name1<='9')){
    if ((name2>='a'&& name2<='z')||(name2>='A'&& name2<='Z')||(name2>='0'&& name2<='9')){
        if (price1>0){
            name[a][0]=name1;
            name[a][1]=name2;
            price[a]=price1;
            if (taxtype=='g' || taxtype=='G')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else if (taxtype=='p' || taxtype=='P')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else if (taxtype=='b' || taxtype=='B')
                tax_type[a++]=taxtype;
            else
                tax_type[a++]='N';
        }
    }
 }

}
}

but when i run my program, this function for some reason doesn't terminate. I know this because i have a couple other functions as well. If i have purchase run before the other functions, the other functions are never executed.

also, how do i enter standard input? i am told to use a unix command like:

./receipt < input.txt

but I am using an IDE called Codeblocks, so I have no idea how to enter input to check my program.

Looks good, you could print the line read by getline immediately after the while line to check what is read.
Either in codeblocks there will be an option to set commandline arguements.
Or you can find where it puts the output executable and from the command line run the above command.
Codeblocks runs on lots of platforms- what OS are you using?

ps. getline() is gcc addition to the language, the more standard way is to use fgets(line, NUM, stdin)
getline() can expand the string memory if the line is too long, but that isn't a problem here.

Last edited:
mmm, i don't know how to do the commandline arguments and such, so i just tested my program by manually inputting the data and then using EOF to end it.
My OS is Vista.
for the program, i am supposed to make sure the standard input of price[] only has 2 decimal places and is positive. how do i do this?
I tried using

Code:
if (price>0.01 && (100*price - (int)100*price)==0)
    then blah blah blah
but then i know i can't compare the double value 100*price with and integer

You can't tell how many places a number has once you convert it into floating point.
The computer stores floating point as an approximation.

To count the number of digits you would have to do it while it is still a string - so find the position of the '.' and the second ':' characters in the string and count the number of characters between them.

thanks to mgb phys for all your help!

Last edited:

Related to C Newbie Help: Strings, Arrays, Getline() & Sscanf() - Urgent (Due Monday)

1. What are strings in C and how are they used?

Strings in C are sequences of characters that are represented as an array of characters. They are commonly used to store and manipulate text or character data. They can be declared using the char data type and are usually terminated with a null character ('\0').

2. How do I declare and initialize an array in C?

To declare an array in C, you need to specify the data type of the elements and the size of the array. For example, to declare an array of integers with 5 elements, you would use the syntax: int array[5]; To initialize the array, you can assign values to each element using curly brackets and separating each element with a comma, like this: int array[5] = {1, 2, 3, 4, 5};

3. What is the purpose of the getline() function in C?

The getline() function in C is used to read a line of text from a stream, such as the standard input (stdin). It takes in three parameters: a pointer to the buffer where the line will be stored, the maximum number of characters to be read, and the stream from which to read the line. It is commonly used to read user input from the command line.

4. How do I use the sscanf() function in C to parse a string?

The sscanf() function in C is used to read data from a string into variables. It takes in three parameters: the string to be read from, the format string specifying the data types and their order, and the variables to store the data in. For example, if you have a string "John 25", you could use sscanf(str, "%s %d", name, &age) to store "John" in the name variable and 25 in the age variable.

5. What is the difference between scanf() and sscanf() in C?

Both scanf() and sscanf() are used to read data from a stream, but scanf() reads from standard input (stdin) while sscanf() reads from a string. Also, scanf() takes in the input from the user in real-time, while sscanf() reads from a pre-defined string. Additionally, scanf() reads input until it encounters whitespace, while sscanf() reads until it reaches a specified character or the end of the string.