What Does :x(a) Mean in a C++ Constructor?

• C/C++
  • Thread starter yungman
  • Start date
  • Tags
    C++
In summary, the conversation discusses a C++ program being copied from YouTube videos. The program includes a class called Base with a member variable x. The conversation also touches on the use of an initializer list in line 5, which initializes the variable x to a certain value. The purpose of the empty braces in the constructor is also explained. The conversation ends with a thank you for a helpful thread on ThreeVector and the individual's continued learning and experimentation with it.
yungman
I am copying some program from youtube videos. This is the program I copied:
C++:
#include <iostream>
using namespace std;
class Base
{ int x;
  public:  Base() {} Base(int a) :x(a) {  }
           int get(){return x;}
           void set(int a){x=a;}
};
int main()
{    Base b1; Base b2(10);
    b2.get();    b2.set(20);    return 0;
}

I don't know what is :x(a) in line 5 .

I really don't even understand line 5, Base() {} Base(int a) :x(a) { } what is this?

Never learn this, don't even know the name to search online. Please help

Thanks

Technology news on Phys.org
Have you tried Googling the line itself?
"public: Base() {} Base(int a) :x(a) { }"

I suspect that it is shorthand for some sort of empty class but my C++ is very rusty.

Code:
public: 
    Base()
    {

} Base(int a) :x(a)
      {

}

DaveC426913 said:
I suspect that it is shorthand for some sort of empty class but my C++ is very rusty.
No, it's not. That line merely initializes the x member to the value that a represents. Just as @phyzguy said.

• Informative
Likes DaveC426913
The reason the empty braces are there is that a constructor has to have a function body, even if there are no executable statetments.

Likes yungman
jtbell said:
The reason the empty braces are there is that a constructor has to have a function body, even if there are no executable statetments.
Just want to say thank you for your thread on ThreeVector. I really learn a lot so far and I am still working on it. I take where you start and run with it to see what should and what should not be done and why.

Thanks

1. What is the purpose of ":x(a)" in Line 5?

In C++, ":x(a)" is a parameter passed into a function or constructor. In this case, it represents an argument named "a" that is being passed into the function or constructor.

2. Why is ":x(a)" used in Line 5?

In C++, function and constructor parameters are used to pass data into the function or constructor. By using ":x(a)" in Line 5, the data contained in the argument "a" can be accessed and used within the function or constructor.

3. What does the colon (:) mean in ":x(a)"?

In C++, the colon (:) is used to specify a member initialization list. This is used to initialize data members of a class or structure before the body of the constructor is executed. In the case of ":x(a)", it is used to initialize the member "x" with the value of the argument "a".

4. Can ":x(a)" be used in other languages besides C++?

The syntax ":x(a)" is specific to C++ and is not used in other programming languages. However, other languages may have their own ways of passing parameters into functions or constructors.

5. Is ":x(a)" a required element in Line 5?

In C++, function and constructor parameters are not required, but they are often used to pass data into the function or constructor. Whether ":x(a)" is required in Line 5 depends on the specific context of the code and how the function or constructor is being used.