Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device

In summary: Hi Berkeman. Efficiency may not be the issue here, because any waste heat ends up heating the room, as was the original intent anyway. The issues might be cost, practicality, if the OP can implement it, and if enough energy can be stored to make it worth while.In summary, the EcoFan can be powered by the thermo reaction between two metals, and is great for moving air around the cabin. Living off the grid in rural Alaska, the OP is looking for a larger device that could produce more electricity to charge the battery bank. The woodstove is in near constant operation for the winter months, and the OP is wondering if anyone has ideas on how this could work or seen a
mikealaska
I have an ecofan that sits on top of my woodstove. It is powered by the thermo reaction between 2 metals, thus exciting electrons which then power the fan. Great device for moving air around the cabin. Living off the grid in rural Alaska, I'm in search of a larger device that could produce 12 volts to charge the battery bank. The woodstove is in near constant operation for the winter months. Wondering if anyone has ideas how this could work, or seen a product out there?

Engineering news on Phys.org
mikealaska said:
I have an ecofan that sits on top of my woodstove. It is powered by the thermo reaction between 2 metals, thus exciting electrons which then power the fan. Great device for moving air around the cabin. Living off the grid in rural Alaska, I'm in search of a larger device that could produce 12 volts to charge the battery bank. The woodstove is in near constant operation for the winter months. Wondering if anyone has ideas how this could work, or seen a product out there?

A steam engine would be much more efficient. Thermoelectric converters have a very low efficiency. You can search at wikipedia.org for more info on the efficiency of different kinds of engines and converters.

Welcome to the PF!

berkeman said:
A steam engine would be much more efficient. Thermoelectric converters have a very low efficiency. You can search at wikipedia.org for more info on the efficiency of different kinds of engines and converters.

Hi Berkeman. Efficiency may not be the issue here, because any waste heat ends up heating the room, as was the original intent anyway. The issues might be cost, practicality, if the OP can implement it, and if enough energy can be stored to make it worth while.

Come to think of it, could it be located in the flue?

Thermoelectric devices work from there being a difference in temperature between two different metals or semiconductors. If you could have one side outside in the cold and the other side on the stove, you might be able to get enough current for battery charging. For example, you could get 3.5 amps at 4.2 volts but you would need a 200 °C temperature difference. http://www.customthermoelectric.com/powergen.html?gclid=CPm8gPnVu5gCFR0SagodRT-0bA"

Last edited by a moderator:
dlgoff said:
Thermoelectric devices work from there being a difference in temperature between two different metals or semiconductors. If you could have one side outside in the cold and the other side on the stove, you might be able to get enough current for battery charging. For example, you could get 3.5 amps at 4.2 volts but you would need a 200 °C temperature difference. http://www.customthermoelectric.com/powergen.html?gclid=CPm8gPnVu5gCFR0SagodRT-0bA"

Excellent! The last time I was to their site, they didn't list a price for their power generating modules.

mikealaska, I don't know your background so I'll just do a little stream of consciousness post, so please ignore anything you already know:

12 volt batteries are fully charged at around 12.7 volts. So you will need at least 4 of the devices listed(@$108.50 each) for a charging system. My solar panels run at a no-load voltage of between 16 and 18 volts DC. This seemingly high difference in voltage(18VDC source vs 12.7VDC battery) is required because of internal resistance of both the battery and power supply.
The the voltage generated by the peltier stack is linearly proportional to the temperature difference so you will have to maintain the 200 °C delta T, otherwise the voltage will drop and you won't have a charger. I'm starting to think that you may want an intelligent DC to DC converter. This would actually require you to only purchase one of the peltier stacks.
But given that deep cycle batteries have a capacity of ~1kwh, a single generator would take over 60 hours to charge one fully.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device?

A Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device is a fan that uses the heat from a wood-burning stove or fireplace to generate its own electricity and power the fan. It is an eco-friendly and cost-effective way to circulate air and heat in a room.

How does a Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device work?

The device contains a thermoelectric module that converts the heat from the stove into electricity. This electricity powers a small motor, which turns the fan blades and circulates the warm air throughout the room. The fan does not require any external power source or batteries.

What are the benefits of using a Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device?

One of the main benefits of using a Caframo ecofan is that it helps to distribute heat more evenly throughout a room, making it feel warmer and more comfortable. It also reduces the need to use a central heating system, which can save on energy costs. Additionally, the fan operates silently and does not require any maintenance.

Can a Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device be used with any type of stove?

Yes, a Caframo ecofan can be used with any type of wood-burning stove or fireplace, as long as it generates enough heat to power the fan. It is not recommended for use with gas or electric stoves.

Are there any safety concerns when using a Caframo ecofan thermoelectric device?

No, the fan is designed to be safe and does not pose any fire hazards. It also does not affect the operation of the stove or fireplace in any way. However, it is important to follow the manufacturer's instructions and not place the fan too close to the heat source.