Calculate acceleration due to gravity of hemisphere

In summary, the question asks for the value of gravitational acceleration at the center of the plane face of a hemisphere of a uniform, spherical asteroid, after half of the asteroid is destroyed in a collision. The equation ##g = \frac{GM}{r^2}## cannot be directly applied due to the lack of spherical symmetry. Calculus, specifically integration, may be used to find the gravitational field on the axis of a disk, and disks of varying radii can be added over the hemisphere to determine the final value of gravitational acceleration.
Kara386

Homework Statement

This isn't actually a coursework problem, but I can't solve it and I'd definitely be interested in the answer!

The acceleration due to gravity at the surface of a uniform, spherical asteroid is ##g_0##. Half of the asteroid is destroyed in a collision, leaving only a hemisphere with the same density and radius as the original sphere. Determine the value, in terms of ##g_0##, for the gravitational acceleration at the centre of the plane face of the hemisphere.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm a bit stumped because I've only ever dealt with situations where ##g = \frac{GM}{r^2}##. So is that equation a kind of point mass thing? Because the hint says you can't just use that equation. The spherical symmetry that I'm guessing is usually assumed doesn't work, but how does the equation get adapted then? It probably involves calculus and maybe integrating ##dr## ##d\theta## ##d\phi## or something, but I can't quite work out exactly what you'd integrate!

Thanks for any help/hints! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Find the gravitational field on the axis of a disk, then add disks of varying radii over the hemisphere.

1. What is the formula for calculating the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere?

The formula for calculating the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere is g = (2/3) * G * M / R, where g is the acceleration due to gravity, G is the gravitational constant (6.67 x 10^-11 N*m^2/kg^2), M is the mass of the hemisphere, and R is the radius of the hemisphere.

2. How does the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere compare to that of a full sphere?

The acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere is half of that of a full sphere. This is because the mass of a hemisphere is half of that of a full sphere, and the radius is the same. Therefore, when using the formula g = (2/3) * G * M / R, the factor of 2/3 becomes 1/3 for a full sphere, resulting in a higher acceleration due to gravity.

3. Can the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere vary?

Yes, the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere can vary depending on the location and mass of the hemisphere. The formula for calculating g assumes a uniform mass distribution and does not take into account any external gravitational forces or changes in altitude.

4. What is the unit of measurement for acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere?

The unit of measurement for acceleration due to gravity is meters per second squared (m/s^2). This unit is used to measure the rate at which an object falls due to the force of gravity.

5. How does the acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere affect objects on its surface?

The acceleration due to gravity of a hemisphere affects objects on its surface by pulling them towards the center of the hemisphere. This force is what keeps objects on the surface from floating off into space. The strength of this force depends on the mass and radius of the hemisphere, as well as the mass of the object.