Calculate area of PV diagram. Two isotherms, two isobars

In summary, the attempted solution for homework equation shows that the two isothermal processes cancel when connected by isobars, but the work from the isobaric processes is not the same for different temperatures.
llatosz

Homework Statement

Everything is in attached file. Given the PV diagram with P2, P1, V2, V1.

Homework Equations

PV=nRT
W=nRT*ln(Vf/Vi)

The Attempt at a Solution

Attempt in attached file is very organized. I showed 2 of my peers and they are getting the same answer as well. Anybody have any ideas?

It makes sense that the two isothermal processes should cancel when connected by isobars. Isobars simply shift the same function along the X-axis, yielding the same area under both curves... or at least so i think.

It definitely doesn't make sense why the two isobaric processes mathematically cancel. They shouldn't.
This is very strange and is really stumping my friends and I.

PHY5.jpg

PHY5.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Are the temperatures the same for the two isothermal processes?

Likes llatosz
OH RIGHT! Thank you very much! So that should affect the work from the isothermal processes. nRT is not the same value for both processes, meaning I could not combine the logarithms the way I did, so the work from the isotherms actually do not cancel?

But as for the work from the isobaric processes, different temperatures shouldn't matter because Temperature just acts as a dummy variable to set one point on an isotherm equal to another point. Is this a correct understanding?

llatosz said:
OH RIGHT! Thank you very much! So that should affect the work from the isothermal processes. nRT is not the same value for both processes, meaning I could not combine the logarithms the way I did, so the work from the isotherms actually do not cancel?
Yes, that's right.

But as for the work from the isobaric processes, different temperatures shouldn't matter because Temperature just acts as a dummy variable to set one point on an isotherm equal to another point. Is this a correct understanding?
I'm note sure I follow. But, you are right that the work cancels for the two constant P processes.

TSny said:
I'm note sure I follow. But, you are right that the work cancels for the two constant P processes.

Alright, that is good news.
My last confusion is that I don't see how the work could cancel for the two constant P processes because one of the constant P processes is at higher pressure, and since the differences in volume look very similar, the magnitude of work from the high P process should be quite greater than the magnitude from the low P processes.

Your diagram is not drawn to scale very accurately. If P2 is 5 times P1, then ΔV for the isobaric process at P1 is 5 times ΔV for the isobaric process at P2.

Likes llatosz
TSny said:
Your diagram is not drawn to scale very accurately. If P2 is 5 times P1, then ΔV for the isobaric process at P1 is 5 times ΔV for the isobaric process at P2.

Oh that is true. Alright great, I fully understand! Thank you very much, I really appreciate it!

What is a PV diagram?

A PV diagram, also known as a pressure-volume diagram, is a graphical representation of the relationship between pressure and volume of a gas or fluid at constant temperature.

How do I calculate the area of a PV diagram?

The area under the curve on a PV diagram represents the work done by the gas or fluid. To calculate the area, you can use the formula: Area = Force x Distance = Pressure x Change in Volume.

What do the two isotherms represent on a PV diagram?

The two isotherms on a PV diagram represent two different temperatures at which the gas or fluid is kept constant. They are usually represented by curved lines.

What do the two isobars represent on a PV diagram?

The two isobars on a PV diagram represent two different pressures at which the gas or fluid is kept constant. They are usually represented by straight lines.

How can I use a PV diagram to analyze a thermodynamic process?

A PV diagram can be used to analyze the changes in pressure, volume, and temperature of a gas or fluid during a thermodynamic process. It can also help determine the work done and the efficiency of the process.