Calculate Area of Triangle ABC

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the area of Triangle ABC using the formula A = (1/2)(a*d - c*b + c*e - e*d + e*b - a*e). The values of the coordinates for points A, B, and C are given and the formula is explained and simplified. It is mentioned that the given formula may have a few typos.
mathdad
Point A(3, 4), point B(8, 5) and point C(7, 8) are located in quadrant 1 and form Triangle ABC.

Note:

Point A(a, b)
Point B(c, d)
Point C(e, f)

Find the area of Triangle ABC using the formula below.

A = (1/2)(a*d - c*b + c*e - e*d + e*b - a*e)

I think this is just a plug and chug problem. It looks tricky but in reality, it's not that bad.

I see it this way:

a = 3
b = 4
c = 8
d = 5
e = 7
f = 8

I plug the values of a through e (not including f) into the formula to calculate the area of Triangle ABC. Am I right?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
As you can find derived here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/finding-area-triangle-formed-3-points-plane-2954.html

we have:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|(x_3-x_1)(y_2-y_1)-(x_2-x_1)(y_3-y_1) \right|\)

and putting this in terms of the given coordinates, we have:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|(e-a)(d-b)-(c-a)(f-b) \right|\)

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|-ad+af+bc-be-cf+de \right|\)

Change the signs to match your formula:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|ad-af-bc+be+cf-de \right|\)

Thus, I would posit that the formula you have been given has a few typos in it. :D

MarkFL said:
As you can find derived here:

http://mathhelpboards.com/math-notes-49/finding-area-triangle-formed-3-points-plane-2954.html

we have:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|(x_3-x_1)(y_2-y_1)-(x_2-x_1)(y_3-y_1) \right|\)

and putting this in terms of the given coordinates, we have:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|(e-a)(d-b)-(c-a)(f-b) \right|\)

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|-ad+af+bc-be-cf+de \right|\)

Change the signs to match your formula:

\(\displaystyle A=\frac{1}{2}\left|ad-af-bc+be+cf-de \right|\)

Thus, I would posit that the formula you have been given has a few typos in it. :D

I made a few typos. Thanks.

Related to Calculate Area of Triangle ABC

What is the formula for calculating the area of a triangle?

The formula for calculating the area of a triangle is: (base x height) / 2.

What are the measurements needed to calculate the area of a triangle?

To calculate the area of a triangle, you will need to know the length of the base and the height of the triangle.

How do I find the length of the base and height of a triangle?

The base of a triangle is the bottom side, and the height is the distance from the base to the opposite vertex. You can measure these using a ruler or protractor, or they may be given in the problem you are solving.

Can I use any unit of measurement to calculate the area of a triangle?

Yes, you can use any unit of measurement for the base and height of a triangle, as long as they are consistent. For example, if the base is measured in inches, the height should also be measured in inches.

Is there a different formula for calculating the area of a right triangle?

Yes, for a right triangle, you can use the formula A = (1/2)bh, where b is the length of the base and h is the length of the height.