Calculate Baryons Annihilation Cross Sections

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in calculating the annihilation cross section for certain baryon processes due to the limitations of using the usual chiral theory. The speaker also mentions that in most cases, these cross sections are derived from experimental observation rather than theoretical calculation. They then ask if there are any possible ways to derive these cross sections theoretically, to which the other speaker responds that they are not aware of any solutions.
Andrea M.
I was wondering if there is a way of calculate the annihilation cross section for two baryons, say ##p\bar p\to\pi\pi## or ##p\bar p\to\gamma\gamma##. The problem here is that we cannot use the usual chiral theory because the energy transfer is of the same order of the cutoff ##\Lambda\sim 1 \text{Gev}##.

In almost all the articles I have found those cross sections are derived by experimental observation, do you know possibles way to derive them theoretically?

Hi Andrea:

I do not have any answer to your question. What I do have is a thought about why there might not be any answer. I asked a similar question about calculating the mean free path of a photon with a frequency that can be absorbed by a CO2 molecule. This calculation also involved cross section values. The discussion led to a conclusion that the answer apparently needs to be determined by experiment. Perhaps there is no related theory. Are you aware of any similar problem that does have a theoretical solution?

Regards,
Buzz

Sorry for the gap, busy day. No, I don't know any solution (except for lattice QCD) for these kind of problems. The only thing that is commonly assumed in the literature is that these kind of strong process should be of order ##\langle\sigma v\rangle\sim g_s/4\pi m_p##.

Likes Buzz Bloom

1. What are baryons?

Baryons are a type of subatomic particle that are made up of three quarks. Examples of baryons include protons and neutrons.

2. What is baryon annihilation?

Baryon annihilation refers to the process in which a baryon and an anti-baryon collide and are converted into energy. This process can occur in particle accelerators and is important for understanding the early universe.

3. What is a cross section in particle physics?

A cross section in particle physics is a measure of the probability of a particular particle interaction occurring. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and is measured in units of area.

4. How is the baryon annihilation cross section calculated?

The baryon annihilation cross section is calculated using quantum field theory and various mathematical formulas. It takes into account factors such as the energy of the particles, the types of particles involved, and the interaction between them.

5. Why is calculating baryon annihilation cross sections important?

Calculating baryon annihilation cross sections is important for understanding the fundamental properties of matter and the behavior of particles in the universe. This information can also be used in practical applications, such as in the development of new technologies and medical treatments.