Calculate Calories Burned from Climbing Stairs

• Thread starter ls0803
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calories
In summary, if you weigh 280 pounds and climb 300 stairs to your office every morning, you will burn approximately 0.6 kcal or 634 calories. However, this calculation may not be entirely accurate due to the measurement units used.
ls0803
I climb 300 stairs to my office every morning - can anyone tell me if i weight 280 pounds how many calories i will burn off (approximately)

thanks

Tired in Liverpool

Physics news on Phys.org
How high is each stair?

12 inches i'd say

I think you will be dissapointed.

I get 300 stairs = 225 vertical feet. The energy required to raise 280 pounds 225 feet is mgh = 280*225 (pounds = mg) =63000 lb*ft = 634 calories = 0.6 kcal (dietary calories). Say your body is 80% efficient, then you expend 0.75 kcal of food intake.

I'm suspicious of my answer- my calculator treats lb as a unit of mass (kg), so if I surreptiously add a factor of 32 to mgh, I get 20/25 kcal, which seems reasonable.

Bleah- it's too early in the morning to try and deal with pounds vs. kilograms...

lift for me tomorrow!

1. How are calories burned from climbing stairs calculated?

The number of calories burned from climbing stairs is calculated by using the MET (metabolic equivalent) value for stair climbing, which is 8 METs. This value is then multiplied by your body weight in kilograms and the amount of time spent climbing stairs in hours. The resulting number is the approximate number of calories burned.

2. Does the number of stairs climbed affect the number of calories burned?

Yes, the number of stairs climbed does affect the number of calories burned. The higher the number of stairs climbed, the more calories are burned. This is because climbing more stairs requires more energy and effort from the body.

3. Is climbing stairs a good form of exercise for burning calories?

Yes, climbing stairs is a great form of exercise for burning calories. It is a weight-bearing exercise that engages multiple muscles in the legs and core, making it an efficient way to burn calories and improve cardiovascular health.

4. Does the speed at which I climb stairs affect the number of calories burned?

Yes, the speed at which you climb stairs does affect the number of calories burned. The faster you climb, the more calories you will burn. This is because faster climbing requires more energy and effort from the body.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the number of calories burned from climbing stairs?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the number of calories burned from climbing stairs. These include body weight, age, and fitness level. Additionally, using handrails or taking breaks during stair climbing can decrease the number of calories burned.