Calculate circle radius with segment height and perimeter

In summary, the radius of a circle segment is the distance from the center of the arc to the point where the segment intersects the circumference of the original circle.
Oppogo
(mentor note: posted in a non-homework forum hence no template)

Hello!
I have a problem I'm trying to solve.
I'm transforming a circle with known radius. Knowing it's radius i can calculate the circumference.
I transform it by squeezing one side, leveling it, creating a circle segment with a measurable height and the same perimeter as prior circle circumference.
Is there any way to calculate the segments circles radius?
Imagine you can't measure the chorde.
All I'm given is height and perimeter.

Attachments

• IMG_20170404_180003.jpg
    IMG_20170404_180003.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 597
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi oppogo:

I think this is a neat problem.

I suggest you draw a new diagram extending a line segment from the arc through what you show as the as the height to a point that represent the unknown center of a new circle. Let R be the distance from this center to the arc, that is R is the unkown radius of the new circular arc. Also draw the two radii to the ends of the arc. Let θ be the angle of half the arc. Let A be the length of the arc. Let S be the secant across the arc. r is the old radius.

From this diagram you can write several equations. (There is more than one way to do this.)
1. cos θ = expression1(R, h)
2. A = expression2(R, θ)
3. A + S = expression3(r)
4. S = expression4(R, h)

ADDED
From these 4 equations you can calculate R. You can first get two equations involving the two unknowns θ and R. One equation is a quadratic and the other a trigonometric. These two equations can be combined to get a single messy equation involving the unknown R and the knowns h and r. This probably will need a numerical solution by a method like successive approximations.

ADDED AGAIN
It may be possible to calculate a good first approximation by assuming h << r.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz

Last edited:
Buzz Bloom said:
Hi oppogo:

I think this is a neat problem.

I suggest you draw a new diagram extending a line segment from the arc through what you show as the as the height to a point that represent the unknown center of a new circle. Let R be the distance from this center to the arc, that is R is the unkown radius of the new circular arc. Also draw the two radii to the ends of the arc. Let θ be the angle of half the arc. Let A be the length of the arc. Let S be the secant across the arc. r is the old radius.

From this diagram you can write several equations. (There is more than one way to do this.)
1. cos θ = expression1(R, h)
2. A = expression2(R, θ)
3. A + S = expression3(r)
4. S = expression4(R, h)

ADDED
From these 4 equations you can calculate R. You can first get two equations involving the two unknowns θ and R. One equation is a quadratic and the other a trigonometric. These two equations can be combined to get a single messy equation involving the unknown R and the knowns h and r. This probably will need a numerical solution by a method like successive approximations.

ADDED AGAIN
It may be possible to calculate a good first approximation by assuming h << r.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Buzz
Is there any formula or way to derive radius of the circle segment from only those 2 parameters though? Mathematically, without the need to extend the circle to the imaginary center. That is the problem I'm facing. I have to predict where the center may be located and for now I'm only given these 2 parameters.

For clarity sake, this is what I'm trying to accomplish. I may be overlooking something really simple but I can't seem to understand how to predict O1 which would be squeezed circles new radius (by extending the arch of circle segment). Thing is, I only know h, r of the circle. What am I missing?

upload_2017-4-5_1-23-18.png

Hi Oppogo:

I see how you got your first equation ending in: = r π .
I don't see how you got from that to the second equation beginning: sin φ0 = .
I don't see how you got from that to the third equation beginning: a = .

ADDED
However, I do see how you get the second equation from the diagram.
But I still don't see how you get the third equation from using the first two equations.

Regards,
Buzz

Buzz Bloom said:
Hi Oppogo:

I see how you got your first equation ending in: = r π .
I don't see how you got from that to the second equation beginning: sin φ0 = .
I don't see how you got from that to the third equation beginning: a = .

Regards,
Buzz

These are not my equations. They are from a paper about modeling a peristaltic pump.
Regardless, I already made approximate models of circle segments for descending h values and constant perimeter.
I will look more into this problem tomorrow, for now this will be sufficient.

Hi Oppogo:

Now I see it. The first equation is not needed.
The second equation is revived from the figure.
The third equation is derived from the second equation. The intermediate step I missed before is:
1- sin φ0 = h/(r+a).​

Sorry for my confusion.

You still can't calculate a since you don't know φ0.
However, the first equation can be written
r+a = r π / ( cos φ0 - (π/2) × φ0 ),​
and third equation can be written
r+a = h / (1 - sin φ0 ).
By equating both RHSs you get an equation, and simplifying that you get an equation of the form:
expression (φ0) = h,​
and this expression has no unknowns other than φ0.

However I don't think this equation can be solved except by numerical methods. This is the same conclusion I reached in my post #2.

Regards,
Buzz

Hi @Oppogo:

I do find this a nice problem, and I have continued to think about it. If you are still interested I will post my solution, including the numerical part which involves using a spread sheet like Excel or Livre Office Calc. I think my new solution is easier to understand than the ones discussed here earlier.

Regards,
Buzz

1. How do you calculate the radius of a circle when given the segment height and perimeter?

To calculate the radius of a circle using the segment height and perimeter, you can use the formula r = (h^2 + (p/2)^2) / (2h), where r is the radius, h is the segment height, and p is the perimeter. This formula is derived from the Pythagorean theorem and the formula for the circumference of a circle, 2πr.

2. Can you explain the reasoning behind the formula for calculating the radius with segment height and perimeter?

The formula for calculating the radius with segment height and perimeter is based on the relationship between the radius, the segment height, and the perimeter of a circle. By using the Pythagorean theorem and the formula for the circumference of a circle, we can find the radius by solving for r in the equation r = (h^2 + (p/2)^2) / (2h).

3. What units should the segment height and perimeter be in when using the formula for calculating the circle radius?

The segment height and perimeter should be in the same units, as long as they are both consistent. For example, if the segment height is in inches, the perimeter should also be in inches.

4. Are there any other methods for calculating the radius of a circle with segment height and perimeter?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the radius of a circle with segment height and perimeter. For example, you could also use the formula r = p / (2π - 2), where r is the radius and p is the perimeter. This formula is derived from the relationship between the central angle, the arc length, and the circumference of a circle.

5. Can this formula be used to calculate the radius of a quarter circle?

Yes, this formula can be used to calculate the radius of a quarter circle. However, the segment height and perimeter used in the formula would only account for one quadrant of the circle. To find the radius of the entire quarter circle, you would need to double the result of the formula.