Calculate Distance Traveled: Car Acceleration from 30 km/hr to 88 km/hr in 7s

In summary, the car traveled 0.114722186 kilometers while accelerating for 7 seconds, with an average acceleration of 0.002301587286 km/s. However, this assumes that the acceleration is constant throughout the 7 seconds, which is not specified in the problem. Therefore, the actual distance traveled may differ depending on the acceleration profile.
MotionNewtion
A car moving at 30 km/hr accelerates for 7.0 s. after which its velocity is 88 km/hr. How far does the car travel while its accelerating?

Given:
Initial Velocity : 30 km/hr
Final Velocity : 88 km/hr
Time : 7 seconds
Acceleration: ?
Distance: ?

correct me if I'm wrong

First I need to get the acceleration and convert my Vf and Vi to seconds. a = Vf - Vi / T

88km/hr - 30km/hr = 58 km/hr divide by 3600 so it will be in seconds so 0.016111111s / 7s = A

now that I have my acceleration (0.002301587286 km/s) I can either use this formula 2ad = Vf^2 - Vi^2 or D = Vi * T + 1/2 at^2

sooo...

(88 km/hr)^2 - (30 km/hr)^2 / 2(0.002301587286km/s) = Distance
so convert Vf^2 and Vi^2 to seconds again then divide by 2(0.002301587286km/s) to get distance

other solution :D

(30 km/hr) (7s) + (0.001150793643km/s) (7s)^2 = D

in this equation do I have to convert 30 km/hr to sec? If 2 of my equation are right both should have the same answer but both are different :(

Now my question is are all my equation/solution right? If not please correct it. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
MotionNewtion said:
(30 km/hr) (7s) + (0.001150793643km/s) (7s)^2 = D

in this equation do I have to convert 30 km/hr to sec?

Yes, you do.
(or you could convert km/s to km/hr and the "7s" to "7/3600 hr" ... you just need to be consistent, however you choose to do it)

MotionNewtion said:
(88 km/hr)^2 - (30 km/hr)^2 / 2(0.002301587286km/s) = Distance

You also need to convert the "per hour" to "per second" in this equation (twice)

Doing this will give you consistent answers.

Likes 1 person
Now, I may be wrong about this (someone correct me if I am,) but I think that this problem doesn't give enough information
MotionNewtion said:
First I need to get the acceleration and convert my Vf and Vi to seconds. a = Vf - Vi / T

The equation you wrote gives the AVERAGE velocity.
(It also happens to be the instantaneous velocity if and only if the acceleration is constant.)

But, the problem does not state the acceleration is constant... It just says "accelerates for 7 seconds"So the distance covered will depend on HOW it accelerates throughout that 7 seconds.
(For example, if in the first second it is accelerated up to 87 km/hr, and in the last 6 seconds it only increases up to 88 km/hr, then the distance covered will be greater than your answer.)
So your answer is correct (once you make the units consistent and solve) ONLY IF the acceleration is constant (which is not in the problem statement)

Nathanael said:
So your answer is correct (once you make the units consistent and solve) ONLY IF the acceleration is constant (which is not in the problem statement)
Yes, I agree.

An advice to the OP. Always convert all the units to SI units. Then it will make the problem easier.
Convert the km/h to m/s and use the equation of motion involving the distance, initial velocity, final velocity and time.

thanks guys :D

MotionNewtion said:
thanks guys :D
Tell us the answer you got :smile:

I converted 7s to hours. Then I used both equation so I can check if two my answers are the same and I got 0.114722186 km :D

MotionNewtion said:
I converted 7s to hours. Then I used both equation so I can check if two my answers are the same and I got 0.114722186 km :D

That is the right answer :smile:

Likes 1 person

1. What is rectilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion is a type of motion in which an object moves in a straight line with a constant velocity. This means that the object's speed and direction do not change during its motion.

2. How is rectilinear motion different from curvilinear motion?

Rectilinear motion involves movement in a straight line, while curvilinear motion involves movement along a curved path. Additionally, rectilinear motion has a constant velocity, while curvilinear motion may have changing velocity and direction.

3. What are some real-life examples of rectilinear motion?

Some examples of rectilinear motion include a car driving on a straight road, a train moving along a straight track, and a person walking in a straight line.

4. What is the equation for calculating rectilinear motion?

The equation for calculating rectilinear motion is: s = ut + 1/2at^2, where s is the displacement, u is the initial velocity, a is the acceleration, and t is the time.

5. How is rectilinear motion used in science and engineering?

Rectilinear motion is used in various fields of science and engineering, such as mechanics, physics, and robotics. It helps in understanding and predicting the movement of objects, designing machines and structures, and analyzing data from experiments and simulations.