Calculate Drag Force & Power for Long Cylindrical Antenna

In summary, the power required to move the antenna through the air is 104 W. This was calculated using the formula P = F ⋅ v, where F is the drag force and v is the speed. The drag force was found by first calculating the Reynolds number and then using the given density of air and the relevant area of the antenna. The value for the drag coefficient was taken from a diagram, resulting in a 2% deviation. However, since the air flow around the antenna is not completely free, this calculation may not be entirely accurate.
Nurah

Homework Statement

A long cylindrical antenna of 9 mm (0.009 m) diameter is mounted vertically on a car moving at 100 km/h (27.778 m/s). Antenna is 920 mm long (0.92 m). Calculate the power required to move antena through the air with standard kinematic viscositiy ν = 1.46 ⋅ 10-5 m2/s.

The given result is P = 104 W.

2. Homework Equations

F = 0.5 ⋅ ρ ⋅ v2 ⋅ CD ⋅ A

where:
F - drag force
ρ = 1.2 kg/m3 - density of the air
v = 27.778 m/s - speed
CD - drag coefficient
A - relevant area

P = F ⋅ v

where:
P - reguired power

3. The Attempt at a Solution

First, I tried to find drag coefficient. To do that, I must find Reynolds number:

Re = (v ⋅ d) / ν
Re = (27.778 ⋅ 0.009) / (1.46 ⋅ 10-5)

Re = 17123.4

According to the diagram, for infinitely long cylinders, CD ≈1

b010a828f330f2c43cc493c60e7c70b5.jpg

Also, relevant area is:
A = diameter ⋅ height
A = 0.009 ⋅ 0.92
A = 8.28 ⋅ 10-3 m2

Now, the drag force is:
F = 0.5 ⋅ 1.2 ⋅ 27.7782 ⋅ 1 ⋅ 8.28 ⋅ 10-3
F = 3.83 N

Required power is equal to:
P = F ⋅ v
P = 4.37 ⋅ 27.778
P = 106.4 W

Is this the correct way to calculate this? Am I getting 2 watts more just because of "not so accurate" reading from the diagram above?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why did the force change from 3.83 N to 4.37 N?
Where does the value for the density of air come from?
2% deviation is certainly fine if you take CD from the diagram.

Thanks for reply.

When I calculated the force for the first time, I read CD = 1.14 from the diagram and I got F = 4.37 N and P = 121.4 W, which was too much.
Then I realized that the CD might be a little lower, so in second reading from the diagram, I read CD = 1. Then I got F = 3.83 N and P = 106 W.
Since I typed that in a hurry, I missed to correct the value for the force in all equations. Sorry for that.

In the book where I found this example under the text it is said that the air has standard characteristics, so the density is 1.2 kg/m3.

So, this procedure is fine?

Is there any other way to calculate CD in this case, because the "reading from the diagram" method is not so accurate?

Thanks.

Last edited:
The assumption that the antenna is in a free air flow is not so accurate either. Usually car antennas are attached to cars, and those influence the air flow. Taking a value of 1 should be fine, you won't get a 1% accuracy anyway.

1. What is the formula for calculating drag force on a long cylindrical antenna?

The formula for calculating drag force on a long cylindrical antenna is: Fd = 0.5 * rho * v^2 * Cd * A, where Fd is the drag force, rho is the density of the fluid, v is the velocity of the antenna, Cd is the drag coefficient, and A is the cross-sectional area of the antenna.

2. How do I determine the drag coefficient for a long cylindrical antenna?

The drag coefficient for a long cylindrical antenna can be determined experimentally by performing wind tunnel tests or by using theoretical calculations. It is also possible to estimate the drag coefficient based on the shape and surface characteristics of the antenna.

3. Is drag force the same as air resistance?

Drag force and air resistance are often used interchangeably, but technically they are not the same. Air resistance refers to the force that opposes the motion of an object through air, while drag force specifically refers to the component of air resistance that is parallel to the direction of motion.

4. How does drag force affect the power consumption of a long cylindrical antenna?

Drag force can have a significant impact on the power consumption of a long cylindrical antenna. As the antenna moves through the air, it experiences a force that must be overcome by the power of the engine or motor. This results in an increase in power consumption, which can affect the performance and efficiency of the antenna.

5. What are some strategies for reducing drag force on a long cylindrical antenna?

There are several strategies that can be used to reduce drag force on a long cylindrical antenna. These include streamlining the shape of the antenna, reducing its surface roughness, using materials with lower drag coefficients, and adjusting the orientation of the antenna to minimize its cross-sectional area in the direction of motion.