Calculate eigenvalue eigenvector in fortran

• Comp Sci
  • Thread starter baha_tr
  • Start date
baha_tr
Homework Statement
Hello, I used to use Fortran 70 before and now I started using Fortran 2023, but I think the library usage is a little different. I wonder how we connect the libraries in 2023, I would be happy if you can help me.
Relevant Equations
intel fortran 2023
I wonder how we connect the libraries in 2023

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no 'the' libraries, there are many many libraries, what do you want? You can use e.g. LAPACK to compute eigenvalues.

Likes pbuk and FactChecker
I just need to find the 4 states after the base state, I think I will use lapack or dsyevx.

Calling a Fortran 77 library from Fortran 2023 should be straightforward. Calling it as you would if you wrote your program in Fortran 77 should work.

"Intel MKL ERROR: Parameter 9 was incorrect on entry to DSYEVX". I am getting error code like this

ı have solved my problem :))

1. How do I calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors in Fortran?

To calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors in Fortran, you can use the LAPACK library, specifically the DGEEV subroutine. This subroutine computes the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of a real general matrix.

2. What is the difference between eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Eigenvalues are scalar values that represent how a linear transformation affects the magnitude of a vector, while eigenvectors are the actual vectors that are only scaled by the eigenvalue when the linear transformation is applied to them.

3. Can you provide an example code snippet for calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors in Fortran?

Sure! Here is a simple code snippet using LAPACK's DGEEV subroutine to calculate eigenvalues and eigenvectors:```fortranprogram eigen_example implicit none integer, parameter :: N = 3 real*8 :: A(N,N), WR(N), WI(N), VL(N,N), VR(N,N) integer :: LWORK = 3*N real*8 :: WORK(LWORK) integer :: INFO ! Initialize matrix A A = reshape([1.0d0, 0.0d0, 0.0d0, & 0.0d0, 2.0d0, 0.0d0, & 0.0d0, 0.0d0, 3.0d0], [N,N]) ! Call DGEEV subroutine call DGEEV('N', 'V', N, A, N, WR, WI, VL, N, VR, N, WORK, LWORK, INFO) ! Output eigenvalues and eigenvectors print *, 'Eigenvalues:' print *, WR print *, 'Eigenvectors:' print *, VRend program eigen_example```This code initializes a 3x3 matrix and computes its eigenvalues and eigenvectors using the DGEEV subroutine.

4. What should I do if the DGEEV subroutine returns an error code?

If the DGEEV subroutine returns an error code (INFO < 0), it indicates that an input parameter is invalid. You should check your input matrix and parameters to ensure they are correct.

5. Are there any other libraries or subroutines in Fortran for calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors?

Yes, besides LAPACK, you can also use the ARPACK library for calculating eigenvalues and eigenvectors in Fortran. ARPACK is specifically designed for large-scale eigenvalue problems and offers additional features compared to LAPACK.