Calculate forces on a fixed beam

In summary: The moment arm is the perpendicular distance from the force vector to the point about which the moment is being calculated.
dreamliner

Homework Statement

A beam ABC is fixed in point A. There is an evenly distributed load q working on top of the beam. In addition there is a diagonal load F working at point C.

Calculate force Ax, Ay and the reaction couple MA.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attached file for figures and calculations.
I believe I'm on the right path, but I fear there might be operator mistakes(+ and -) somewhere.
(Ironically that's what I find to be the most difficult thing with statics. Get a + wrong and all your calculations are off...)

Attachments

• Beam.jpg
    Beam.jpg
    16.5 KB · Views: 391
Physics news on Phys.org
dreamliner said:

Homework Statement

A beam ABC is fixed in point A. There is an evenly distributed load q working on top of the beam. In addition there is a diagonal load F working at point C.

Calculate force Ax, Ay and the reaction couple MA.

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attached file for figures and calculations.
I believe I'm on the right path, but I fear there might be operator mistakes(+ and -) somewhere.
(Ironically that's what I find to be the most difficult thing with statics. Get a + wrong and all your calculations are off...)
Oh those pesty plus and minus signs are always cause for concern in Physics and Engineering, but that is not your problem here in your incorrect solution. You are mixing up forces and moment calculations. When you sum forces in the y direction, there are no moment arm distances to consider. Check your value for the resultant force of the distributed load. And when you sum moments, check your value for the moment about A of the force F applied at C.

PhanthomJay said:
When you sum forces in the y direction, there are no moment arm distances to consider.

So in this case it should be only q*4,1(the length of the beam force q is working on) even though force q isn't distributed across the entire beam? (I was under the assuption you had to consider cg of force q in such cases)

PhanthomJay said:
And when you sum moments, check your value for the moment about A of the force F applied at C.

Should have been a moment arm distance there, yes. So the correct value would be F*sin 54,4*6,3

dreamliner said:
So in this case it should be only q*4,1(the length of the beam force q is working on) even though force q isn't distributed across the entire beam?
Correct. The load distribution is in units of force per unit length, and thus the resultant load, which must be in force units, is ql, where l is the length of the beam over which q is applied.
(I was under the assuption you had to consider cg of force q in such cases)
Once you calculate the resultant load of the force distribution, ql, the resultant acts at the cg of the load, and the magnitude and location of that resultant is used to determine end reactions when summing moments about any point.
Should have been a moment arm distance there, yes. So the correct value would be F*sin 54,4*6,3
yes.

As a scientist, it is important to ensure accuracy in calculations by double checking for operator mistakes. It may also be helpful to use a different method or approach to confirm the results. Additionally, it is important to consider any assumptions made in the calculations and their potential impact on the results. Overall, it appears that you are on the right track in your solution and it would be beneficial to continue checking and refining the calculations to ensure accuracy.

1. How do you calculate the forces on a fixed beam?

The forces on a fixed beam can be calculated by using the equations of static equilibrium, which state that the sum of all forces acting on the beam must equal zero, and the sum of all moments (or torques) acting on the beam must also equal zero. This means that the forces and moments acting on the beam can be balanced and solved for using simple algebraic equations.

2. What are the different types of forces that can act on a fixed beam?

The different types of forces that can act on a fixed beam include: point forces (also known as concentrated forces), distributed loads (such as uniform or triangular loads), and external reactions (such as supports or constraints). It is important to consider all of these forces when calculating the overall forces on a fixed beam.

3. How do you determine the magnitude and direction of the forces on a fixed beam?

To determine the magnitude and direction of the forces on a fixed beam, you must first draw a free body diagram of the beam to visualize all of the forces acting on it. Then, apply the equations of static equilibrium to solve for the unknown forces. Additionally, the direction of the forces can be determined by considering the geometry and orientation of the beam and its supports.

4. What factors can affect the forces on a fixed beam?

The forces on a fixed beam can be affected by various factors such as the type and magnitude of the loads applied, the material properties of the beam, the location and type of supports, and the overall geometry and design of the beam. It is important to consider these factors when designing and analyzing a fixed beam structure.

5. How can you ensure the safety and stability of a fixed beam?

To ensure the safety and stability of a fixed beam, it is important to carefully calculate and analyze the forces and stresses acting on the beam. This can be done by following appropriate design codes and standards, performing thorough structural analysis, and considering all potential factors and loads that may affect the beam. It is also important to regularly inspect and maintain the beam to prevent any potential failures or hazards.