Calculate height and velocity given kinetic and potential?

In summary, the conversation discusses filling out a table with potential and kinetic energy values, but missing height and velocity. The equations for kinetic and potential energy are mentioned, but the attempt at a solution is unclear. One suggestion is to write height as a multiple of mass, and another is to use conservation of energy between two rows in the table.
JohnDoe624

Homework Statement

I have a table that needs to be filled out. In each column, potential and kinetic energy are given, but height and velocity are left blank. Ex: PE = 20 J, KE = 0 J, h = ?, V = ?

Homework Equations

KE = 1/2mv^2
U = mgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm totally stumped. How can I figure out either of these with no mass given?

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you simply write height as a multiple of mass?
i.e. if PE = 20J ##h = \frac{20}{9.8 m} ## where m is in kg.

Forum rules require you to post the question word for word.
JohnDoe624 said:
KE = 0J ... V = ?
You should be able to do that one.

As for the other entries in the table... Do they relate to the same object at different times? Perhaps try applying conservation of energy between two rows in the table.

Related to Calculate height and velocity given kinetic and potential?

1. What is the formula for calculating height and velocity given kinetic and potential energy?

The formula for calculating height and velocity given kinetic and potential energy is:
H = (mgh + mv2) / (mg)
V = √(2gh + v02)

2. How do I determine the values of mass (m), gravitational acceleration (g), and initial velocity (v0) in the formula?

The mass (m) can be determined by weighing the object in kilograms. Gravitational acceleration (g) is a constant value of 9.8 m/s2 on Earth. The initial velocity (v0) can be measured using a stopwatch or calculated using other known values.

3. Can this formula be used for objects with varying mass or in different gravitational environments?

Yes, this formula can be used for objects with varying mass and in different gravitational environments. However, it is important to make sure that the units of measurement are consistent (e.g. using kilograms for mass and meters per second squared for acceleration).

4. Do I need to consider air resistance when using this formula?

This formula does not take into account the effects of air resistance. If air resistance is significant, it may affect the accuracy of the calculated values. In such cases, a more complex formula that takes air resistance into account should be used.

5. How can I use the calculated values of height and velocity?

The calculated values of height and velocity can be used to analyze the motion of an object. For example, the height can be used to determine the potential energy of the object, while the velocity can be used to determine the kinetic energy. These values can also be used to predict the future motion of the object.