Calculate humidity from dry/Wet bulb temp

In summary, the conversation discussed calculating specific humidity, relative humidity, and specific enthalpy based on given dry-bulb and wet-bulb temperatures and atmospheric pressure. The equations used were approximate and the values obtained did not match those on a psychrometric chart due to errors in the given temperatures. The correct values for relative humidity, humidity mass ratio, and enthalpy were approximately 38%, 0.025 kg moisture/kg dry air, and 129 kJ/kg, respectively.
dhkdeoen

Homework Statement

Dry-bulb Temperature 46'C
Wet-bulb Temperature 34'C
P=101.3kPa

with these, I have to 'calculate' Specific Humidity(w), Relative humidity(φ), Specific Enthalpy(h)

Homework Equations

Specific Humidity
w=0.622*Pv/Pa
when Pa=P-Pv

Relative Humidity
φ=w*P/[(0.622+w)*Pg]

Specific Enthalpy
h=ha+w*hg

for this problem, I used approximated values based on temperature for ha.
so
ha=1.005[kJ/KgC]*T[C]
ha[kJ/KG]

The Attempt at a Solution

P is 101.3
T is 46'C

from Table A-4, Pv is 10.14kPa at 46'C

w=(0.622*10.14)/(101.3-10.14)=0.069
6.9%

φ=0.069*101.3/[(0.622+0.069)*10.14)=0.9976
99.76%
this is when I start to feel a bit weirdh=1.005*46+0.069*2584.18
=224.54kJ/kgThen I checked my Psychrometric Chart, and found out this makes no sense. Where did I go wrong? or am I reading the the chart wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your wet bulb temp is close to freezing the curves on the psychrometric chart are at one end so it's a bit hard to get accurate readings, but I got
rel humidity ~ 33%
enthalpy ~ 12.5 BTU per lb. dry air. Sorry these units are not SI.
humidity mass ratio ~ .004 moisture/dry air.
Don't know about your equations but I can tell from their simplicity that they are rough approximations to the chart numbers.

rude man said:
Since your wet bulb temp is close to freezing the curves on the psychrometric chart are at one end so it's a bit hard to get accurate readings, but I got
rel humidity ~ 33%
enthalpy ~ 12.5 BTU per lb. dry air. Sorry these units are not SI.
humidity mass ratio ~ .004 moisture/dry air.
Don't know about your equations but I can tell from their simplicity that they are rough approximations to the chart numbers.
Wet bulb temperature is 34° C. That's not close to freezing. In fact, it's rather balmy. I think you got your temperature units mixed up.

dhkdeoen said:

Homework Statement

Dry-bulb Temperature 46'C
Wet-bulb Temperature 34'C
P=101.3kPa

with these, I have to 'calculate' Specific Humidity(w), Relative humidity(φ), Specific Enthalpy(h)

Homework Equations

Specific Humidity
w=0.622*Pv/Pa
when Pa=P-Pv

Relative Humidity
φ=w*P/[(0.622+w)*Pg]

Specific Enthalpy
h=ha+w*hg

for this problem, I used approximated values based on temperature for ha.
so
ha=1.005[kJ/KgC]*T[C]
ha[kJ/KG]

The Attempt at a Solution

P is 101.3
T is 46'C

from Table A-4, Pv is 10.14kPa at 46'C

w=(0.622*10.14)/(101.3-10.14)=0.069
6.9%

φ=0.069*101.3/[(0.622+0.069)*10.14)=0.9976
99.76%
this is when I start to feel a bit weirdh=1.005*46+0.069*2584.18
=224.54kJ/kgThen I checked my Psychrometric Chart, and found out this makes no sense. Where did I go wrong? or am I reading the the chart wrong?

It's not clear what Table A-4 is. Can you link to it?

Here is a psychrometric chart in SI Units:

http://www.uigi.com/UIGI_SI.PDF

Your dry bulb/wet bulb temps are almost off this chart.

I would say the enthalpy is about 122 kJ/kg of dry air and the relative humidity is about 45%

SteamKing said:
Wet bulb temperature is 34° C. That's not close to freezing. In fact, it's rather balmy. I think you got your temperature units mixed up.
Well you're absolutely right. I'll take another shot at it soon.

With the correct temperatures I got about 38% rel. humidity, 0.025 kg moisture /kg dry air, and H ~ 56 BTU//lb dry air = 129 kJ/kg. On my chart I had to estimate enthalpy a bit.

1. How is humidity calculated from dry and wet bulb temperatures?

The humidity can be calculated using a psychrometric chart or equation based on the dry and wet bulb temperatures. The chart takes into account the difference between the two temperatures, the air pressure, and the specific heat of the air to determine the humidity.

2. What is the purpose of calculating humidity from dry and wet bulb temperatures?

Calculating humidity from dry and wet bulb temperatures is important for understanding the moisture content of the air. This information is useful for a variety of applications, such as weather forecasting, indoor air quality monitoring, and HVAC system design.

3. Can humidity be accurately calculated using only dry and wet bulb temperatures?

While calculating humidity from dry and wet bulb temperatures can provide a good estimate, it is not as accurate as directly measuring the humidity with a hygrometer. Other factors, such as air pressure, can also affect the accuracy of the calculation.

4. What is the difference between dry bulb and wet bulb temperature?

Dry bulb temperature is the standard measure of air temperature that is commonly used in weather reports. Wet bulb temperature, on the other hand, is a measure of the lowest temperature that can be reached by evaporating water into the air. It is typically lower than the dry bulb temperature due to the cooling effect of evaporation.

5. How does humidity affect human comfort?

Humidity can have a significant impact on human comfort. High humidity can make the air feel hotter and more uncomfortable, while low humidity can cause dry skin and respiratory irritation. Maintaining a comfortable level of humidity is important for creating a pleasant and healthy indoor environment.