Calculate Inertia: What is the Mass of the Crate?

In summary: After all, the block has just lost a lot of its mass due to the explosion. The first, yes, and we already know that the initial velocities are zero.The second equation doesn't look right. I doesn't seem to be related to energy.Oh, and it's too early to divide out mass or the 1/2. First we need to relate it to the given 9 J of energy.
emily081715

Homework Statement

A mysterious crate has shown up at your place of work, Firecracker Company, and you are told to measure its inertia. It is too heavy to lift, but it rolls smoothly on casters. Getting an inspiration, you lightly tape a 0.60-kg iron block to the side of the crate, slide a firecracker between the crate and the block, and light the fuse. When the firecracker explodes, the block goes one way and the crate rolls the other way. You measure the crate's speed to be 0.064 m/s by timing how long it takes to cross floor tiles. You look up the specifications of the firecracker and find that it releases 9 J of energy. That's all you need, and you quickly calculate the inertia of the crate.

Homework Equations

p=mv
k=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the inertia is referring to the mass of the crate. will i need to use the chang in kinetic energy equation to solve for mass?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nice story. Good thing the crate wasn't full of firecrackers or pure gunpowder (not unthinkable in such a company...).
Teacher must have had a good time composing it. He doesn't tell you how much of the 9 J is converted to kinetic energy, but I guess you should assume 100%. So the crate comes away undented and undamaged.

Yess, the exercise wants the mass of the crate. Aside from your two equations you'll need a bit more: energy conservation, momentum conservation, to name some. Start your attempt at solution and post when stuck ...

emily081715 said:

Homework Statement

A mysterious crate has shown up at your place of work, Firecracker Company, and you are told to measure its inertia. It is too heavy to lift, but it rolls smoothly on casters. Getting an inspiration, you lightly tape a 0.60-kg iron block to the side of the crate, slide a firecracker between the crate and the block, and light the fuse. When the firecracker explodes, the block goes one way and the crate rolls the other way. You measure the crate's speed to be 0.064 m/s by timing how long it takes to cross floor tiles. You look up the specifications of the firecracker and find that it releases 9 J of energy. That's all you need, and you quickly calculate the inertia of the crate.

Homework Equations

p=mv
k=1/2mv2

The Attempt at a Solution

i know the inertia is referring to the mass of the crate. will i need to use the chang in kinetic energy equation to solve for mass?

Hey Emily! ;)

We have 2 unknowns: the mass of the mysterious crate, and the speed of the firecracker after the explosion.
To find them we need 2 equations.
Can we set up the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy?

I like Serena said:
Hey Emily! ;)

We have 2 unknowns: the mass of the mysterious crate, and the speed of the firecracker after the explosion.
To find them we need 2 equations.
Can we set up the equations for conservation of momentum and conservation of energy?
mc(vci-vcf)=mb(vbf-vbi)
vci-vbi=vbf-vcf

would i be using theses? for the second equation i divided out mass and the 1/2 and rearranged a bit

emily081715 said:
mc(vci-vcf)=mb(vbf-vbi)
vci-vbi=vbf-vcf

would i be using theses? for the second equation i divided out mass and the 1/2 and rearranged a bit

The first, yes, and we already know that the initial velocities are zero.
The second equation doesn't look right. I doesn't seem to be related to energy.
Oh, and it's too early to divide out mass or the 1/2. First we need to relate it to the given 9 J of energy.

BvU said:
He doesn't tell you how much of the 9 J is converted to kinetic energy, but I guess you should assume 100%. So the crate comes away undented and undamaged.

I don't see how it could ever be 100%. ;)
Instead I'm assuming we're only given the part of the energy that is converted to mechanical energy. That is, I think the word "mechanical" was accidentally omitted in the problem statement.

emily081715 said:
for the second equation i divided out mass
That is not very wise: the mass of the crate is quite different from the mass of the block.

What is inertia?

Inertia is the tendency of an object to resist changes in its motion, both in terms of speed and direction.

How does inertia relate to the mass of an object?

The mass of an object is directly proportional to its inertia. This means that the greater the mass of an object, the greater its inertia will be.

What is the formula for calculating inertia?

The formula for calculating inertia is I = m x r^2, where I is the inertia, m is the mass of the object, and r is the distance from the axis of rotation.

How do you determine the mass of a crate to calculate its inertia?

To determine the mass of a crate, you can use a scale or balance. Place the crate on the scale and record the reading. This will give you the mass in units of mass (such as kilograms or pounds), which you can then use in the inertia formula.

Why is calculating inertia important in science?

Calculating inertia is important in science because it helps us understand the behavior of objects in motion. It is also a key concept in Newton's laws of motion, which are fundamental principles in the study of physics.