Calculate lattice constant from x-rays

In summary, the problem involves determining the lattice constant of NaCl when x-rays are diffracted off the crystal at an angle of 16.3 degrees. Using the equation 2d * Sin(Theta) = m * Lambda, where d represents the lattice constant and Lambda is the frequency of the x-rays, the attempt at a solution involved finding the Miller indices (h, k, l) but was unable to do so without knowing the orientation of the crystal. The expected value for the lattice constant is 5.63-5.65 Angstroms, but the values obtained did not match this. Further clarification or assistance is needed to solve the problem accurately.
tibsy

Homework Statement

When x-rays are diffracted off NaCl, constructive interference is observed at an angle of 16.3 degrees. Determine the lattice constant of NaCl.

Frequency of the X-ray is 1.948 x 10^18 hz
Theta = 16.3 degrees

Homework Equations

(As far as what we're told to use and what's in the book)
2d * Sin (Theta) = m * Lambda

The Attempt at a Solution

After looking through the problem it is very clear that I am unable to find the "lattice constant" from the information given in the book.

I've found the following equations:

1) d = a/sqrt(h2+k2+l2)
2) Lambda/2a= sin 2 Theta/h2+k2+l2

I've tried deriving #2 down to where it is usable and I get:

a2 = (Lambda2/4) * (h2+k2+l2/Sin2 Theta)

I've been unable to figure out what the miller indices are (h k and l), but everything I've tried doesn't get anywhere near the values expected online of 5.63-5.65.

Am I going about this completely wrong or am I just overthinking the problem?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think you can figure out the Miller indices if you don't know the orientation of the crystal anyway, right? (It's been a while since I took solid state.)

EDIT: I don't get 5.63 (Angstoms?) either (for any value of m).

Last edited:

What is the purpose of calculating the lattice constant from x-rays?

The lattice constant is an important physical property of a crystal, as it determines the spacing between atoms in a crystal lattice. Calculating the lattice constant from x-rays provides valuable information about the crystal structure and can be used to identify and characterize different materials.

How is the lattice constant calculated from x-rays?

The lattice constant can be calculated using Bragg's law, which states that the angle at which x-rays are diffracted is related to the spacing between crystal planes and the wavelength of the x-rays. By measuring the diffraction angle and knowing the wavelength of the x-rays, the lattice constant can be determined using a simple mathematical formula.

What factors can affect the accuracy of calculating the lattice constant from x-rays?

The accuracy of the lattice constant calculation can be affected by several factors, including the quality of the x-ray source, the crystal's orientation, and any imperfections or defects in the crystal lattice. It is important to carefully control these factors to ensure accurate results.

Are there any limitations to using x-rays to calculate the lattice constant?

While x-ray diffraction is a powerful tool for determining the lattice constant, there are some limitations to consider. X-rays can only be used to analyze crystalline materials, so amorphous or non-crystalline substances cannot be analyzed using this method. Additionally, the crystal must be of sufficient size and quality to produce clear diffraction patterns.

How is the lattice constant from x-rays used in scientific research?

The lattice constant is a fundamental property of a crystal and is used in a variety of scientific research fields, such as materials science, solid state physics, and crystallography. It can be used to study the physical and chemical properties of materials, identify unknown substances, and design new materials with specific properties.