Calculate Maximum Velocity with Swing Chain Length and Angle

In summary, the conversation discusses a method to calculate the maximum velocity of a swing at the bottom using the length of the chain and the starting angle. The equations used include potential and kinetic energy, as well as rotational kinetic energy. However, it is not necessary to use rotational energy as all the mass is in one point. The participant also mentions that using both kinetic and rotational energy is not recommended.
drobtj2

Homework Statement

Using the length of a swing's chain (1.8m) and using the angle the swing starts at relative to the vertical (30 deg.) devise a method to calculate the max veloc. of the swing at the bottom. Assume mass of person+swing=72 kg

Homework Equations

Ui+Ki=Uf+Kf
K=1/2 mv^2
U=mgh
h= 1.8 cos 30
Krot= 1/2 Iw^2

The Attempt at a Solution

(m)(9.8)(.24)=1/2 m v^2 +1/2 Iw^2
2.35= 1/2 v^2+ 1/2 r^2 (v^2/r^2)
2.35= 1/2 v^2 + 1/2 v^2
2.35=v^2
v=1.53 m/s

Do I use the rotational kinetic energy when solving the problem? It seems like I should because of the rotational motion but I'm not sure.

Physics news on Phys.org
you can use rotational energy, altough it's not really necessary since all the mass is in one point and all the forces act on this point.
you can't use BOTH howvever. The rotational energy of the swinger is the same energy as the ordinary kinetic energy.

Thanks, this problem was part of a lab, and later the experimental and theoretical data didnt match, so i figured my method had been wrong, and I got good results using only kinetic.

Related to Calculate Maximum Velocity with Swing Chain Length and Angle

1. How does swing chain length affect maximum velocity?

The longer the swing chain length, the higher the maximum velocity will be. This is because a longer chain allows for a larger range of motion, allowing the swing to build up more speed before reaching the bottom of the arc.

2. What is the relationship between swing angle and maximum velocity?

The steeper the swing angle, the higher the maximum velocity will be. This is because a steeper angle creates a greater drop in height, resulting in a larger increase in speed as the swing moves down.

3. How do I calculate maximum velocity with swing chain length and angle?

The formula for calculating maximum velocity with swing chain length and angle is v = √(2gL(1-cosθ)), where v is velocity, g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s^2), L is the swing chain length, and θ is the swing angle in radians.

4. Can maximum velocity be increased by adjusting both swing chain length and angle?

Yes, adjusting both the swing chain length and angle can result in a higher maximum velocity. However, it is important to note that there is a limit to how much the velocity can be increased and too steep of an angle or too long of a chain can be dangerous.

5. How does air resistance affect maximum velocity?

Air resistance can decrease the maximum velocity of a swing. The faster the swing moves, the more air resistance it will encounter, which will slow it down. However, for most swings, the effect of air resistance is minimal and can be ignored in calculations.