Calculate measurement uncertainty? I made one measurement....

In summary, the uncertainty in the length of a pen is the measurement uncertainty multiplied by the number of measurements.
olgerm
Gold Member
How to calculate measurement uncertainty of m. I understand I should use these formulas to calculate it if I had data of many measurements, but when have only measurement then it becomes undefined, because of 0/0 in standard deviation formula.
##u(m)=\sqrt{u_a^2(m)+u_b^2(m)}##
##u_a(m)=\frac{s(m)\cdot Student(p;n_m)}{\sqrt(n_m)}##
##s(m)=\sqrt{\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n_m}((m_i-\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n_m}(m_i)}{n_m})^2)}{n_m-1}}##
##u_b(m)=\frac{_\Delta X_{scale}\cdot Student(p;\infty)}{\sqrt{3}}##
  • p is confidence level
  • ##n_m## is number of measurements.
Assuming that ##u_a(m)## is zero if I have only one measurement data is probably false because then uncertainty with one measurement would be smaller or equal to uncertainty with more measurements.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
olgerm said:
How to calculate measurement uncertainty of m. I understand I should use these formulas to calculate it if I had data of many measurements, but when have only measurement then it becomes undefined, because of 0/0 in standard deviation formula.
##u(m)=\sqrt{u_a^2(m)+u_b^2(m)}##
##u_a(m)=\frac{s(m)\cdot Student(p;n_m)}{\sqrt(n_m)}##
##s(m)=\sqrt{\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n_m}((m_i-\frac{\sum_{i=1}^{n_m}(m_i)}{n_m})^2)}{n_m-1}}##
##u_b(m)=\frac{_\Delta X_{scale}\cdot Student(p;\infty)}{\sqrt{3}}##
  • p is confidence level
  • ##n_m## is number of measurements.
Assuming that ##u_a(m)## is zero if I have only one measurement data is probably false because then uncertainty with one measurement would be smaller or equal to uncertainty with more measurements.

This is very vague. What TYPE of measurement did you make?

For example, take a ruler, and measure the length of your pen/pencil/whatever. Make only ONE measurement. Now, what do you think is the "uncertainty" in that ONE single measurement?

You are focused on the statistical spread in repeated measurement of the same quantity. However, in ONE single measurement, the uncertainty lies in the method and instrument that were used in the measurement. This doesn't change no matter how many measurement you made.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
For example, take a ruler, and measure the length of your pen/pencil/whatever. Make only ONE measurement. Now, what do you think is the "uncertainty" in that ONE single measurement?
In that cases result should be almost same however many measurements I made because all results are almost the same. Statistical uncertainty (a-type uncertainty) would be approximately 0. In that case it is not practical to make many measurements, but statistics formulas should still work.

olgerm said:
In that cases result should be almost same however many measurements I made because they all are almost the same. Statistical uncertainty (a-type uncertainty) would be approximately 0. In that case it is not practical to make many measurements, but statistics formulas should still work.

Are you sure?

Take both the pen and ruler, and give it to 10 people. Ask them to give you the measurement as accurate as they can using that instrument. I extremely doubt that the length of the object will fall EXACTLY on one of the tick marks on the ruler. If the smallest tick mark is the 1 mm scale, do you think an estimate of the length in sub mm by everyone will be identical?

We do this often in intro general physics class to introduce students to uncertainties and statistical spread. I have never found any instant where everyone got identical measurement.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Take both the pen and ruler, and give it to 10 people. Ask them to give you the measurement as accurate as they can using that instrument.
If they get different results then ##u_a>0## and ##u_{many\ measurements}=\sqrt{u_a^2+u_b^2}##.
If I measured this pen only once with the same ruler then ##u_a=0## and ##u_{single\ measurement}=u_b##.

Therefore ##u_{many\ measurements}>u_{single\ measurement}##, which does not make sense.

olgerm said:
If they get different results then ##u_a>0## and ##u_{many\ measurements}=\sqrt{u_a^2+u_b^2}##.
If I measured this pen only once with the same ruler then ##u_a=0## and ##u_{single\ measurement}=u_b##.

Therefore ##u_{many\ measurements}>u_{single\ measurement}##, which does not make sense.

But these are NOT the same uncertainty! There is NO statistical uncertainty in ONE single measurement. The only uncertainty that is there is the measurement uncertainty.

I have no idea what is going on here.

Zz.

What you mean these are not the same uncertainties? these both are uncertainty of pencil length on same confidence level p. In both cases with probability p ##l_{measured}-u(l)<l_{real}<l_{measured}+u(l)## .

with probability p:##l_{measured}-u(single\ measurement)<l_{real}<l_{measured}+u(single\ measurement)##
with probability p:##l_{measured}-u(many\ measurements)<l_{real}<l_{measured}+u(many\ measurements)##

At least this what I note by u. Maybe my formulas are wrong. If so, then please note out the error in them.

your equations don't say anything about the rulers.
The uncertainty in the measurement must account for the instrument being used.

Last edited:
gmax137 said:
your equations don't say anything about the rulers.
it is charactarised by ##_\Delta X_{scale}##, that is in my my equations. It is taken into account.

olgerm said:
it is charactarised by ##_\Delta X_{scale}##, that is in my my equations. It is taken into account.

oops sorry I missed that.

edit -- I see what you're saying now. There must be something wrong with the root-sum-square at the top of your post, since more measurements should get you lower uncertainty. I will let someone who understands this better than I do answer the question.

Last edited:
Likes olgerm
gmax137 said:
Seems to me, if you have only one measured value, then the uncertainty is just the instrument error.
I think it is untrue because then would making more measurements increase uncertainty.

What exactly does ##u_a(m)## represent?

gmax137 said:
What exactly does ##u_a(m)## represent?
a-type uncertainty.

I got an idea to count standard deviation of single measurement to be ##s(m)=m\cdot \sqrt{2}##, because it could not be larger if you made more than one measurement and measured values could not be smaller than 0.
Do you think, it is correct?.

1. How do I calculate measurement uncertainty?

To calculate measurement uncertainty, you need to first determine the sources of uncertainty in your measurement. This can include systematic errors, random errors, and instrument limitations. Once you have identified these sources, you can use statistical methods such as propagation of error or standard deviation to estimate the overall uncertainty in your measurement.

2. Can I calculate measurement uncertainty with only one measurement?

While it is generally recommended to take multiple measurements to calculate uncertainty, it is still possible to estimate uncertainty with just one measurement. This can be done by considering the precision of your instrument and any potential sources of error that may affect your measurement.

3. Is there a standard method for calculating measurement uncertainty?

There is no one standard method for calculating measurement uncertainty, as it can vary depending on the type of measurement and the sources of uncertainty involved. However, there are established guidelines and techniques, such as those outlined in the ISO Guide to the Expression of Uncertainty in Measurement, that can be used to calculate uncertainty with a high level of accuracy.

4. How does measurement uncertainty affect the reliability of my results?

Measurement uncertainty is an important factor to consider when interpreting the reliability of your results. A large uncertainty indicates a greater degree of potential error in your measurement, which can affect the accuracy and precision of your results. It is important to report both your measurement value and its associated uncertainty to provide a comprehensive understanding of your data.

5. Can measurement uncertainty be reduced or eliminated?

While it is not possible to completely eliminate measurement uncertainty, it can be reduced through careful experimental design, proper calibration and maintenance of instruments, and taking multiple measurements. It is important to also consider the limitations of your measurement and report the uncertainty to accurately reflect the reliability of your results.