Calculate mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2

• Thread starter cmgbruschi
  • Start date
In summary, the question asks for the concentration of Ba in mEq/L in a solution of BaBr2. To solve this, the amount of Ba in grams needs to be determined first. Since 1 mole of BaBr2 contains 2 moles of Ba, the .8753 g of BaBr2 would contain .617 g of Ba. This can then be converted to moles and the concentration in mEq/L can be calculated. The number of equivalents does not necessarily correspond to the charge on ions generated, as seen in the example of H3PO4.
cmgbruschi

Homework Statement

Barium bromide BaBr2 (875.3 mg) was dissolved in water to make one liter of solution. Express the concentration in the following units: mEq/L of Ba.

Homework Equations

Ba has a charge of 2+ which means it has 2 Eq in 1 mole.

The Attempt at a Solution

First I changed the 875.3 mg into .8753 g of BaBr2. The thing that really confuses me is how do I know how many grams of Ba is in .8753 g of BaBr2? I understand how to do this problem if it asked for the mEq/L of BaBr2, but I'm stuck because I can't figure out how many grams of just Ba is in .8753g of BaBr2. Once I figure out the g of Ba I can convert it into moles since there are 137.3 g per mole of Ba.

Physics news on Phys.org
Why couldn't you do the same thing for BaBr2? Equivalents don't 'equate' to charge either.

example

H3PO4 <-------> 3H+ + PO4-3

In this example, there are three equivalents of H+ per mole of H3PO4 and only one equivalent of PO4-3. Notice how the number of equivalents are unrelated to the charge on the ions generated?

Related to Calculate mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2

1. How do you calculate mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2?

To calculate the mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2, you need to first determine the molecular weight of BaBr2. This can be done by adding the atomic weights of each element (Ba = 137.33 g/mol, Br = 79.90 g/mol) to get a total of 217.23 g/mol. Then, divide the given concentration of BaBr2 (in g/L) by the molecular weight to get the mEq/L of Ba.

2. What is the purpose of calculating mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2?

The purpose of calculating mEq/L of Ba from BaBr2 is to determine the concentration of barium ions (Ba2+) in a solution. This is important in various scientific and medical applications, such as in determining the effectiveness of barium-based medications or in analyzing the water quality in a lab.

3. Can mEq/L of Ba be converted to other units of concentration?

Yes, mEq/L of Ba can be converted to other units of concentration, such as millimoles per liter (mmol/L) or parts per million (ppm). This conversion can be done by using the molar mass of Ba (137.33 g/mol) and the desired unit of measurement in the conversion factor.

4. What is the difference between mEq/L and mg/L?

mEq/L and mg/L are both units of concentration, but they measure different quantities. mEq/L (milliequivalents per liter) measures the number of charged particles (ions) in a solution, while mg/L (milligrams per liter) measures the mass of a substance in a solution. To convert between the two, you need to know the molecular weight of the substance.

5. How does the concentration of BaBr2 affect the mEq/L of Ba?

The concentration of BaBr2 directly affects the mEq/L of Ba. The higher the concentration of BaBr2, the higher the mEq/L of Ba will be. This is because a higher concentration of BaBr2 means there are more barium ions present in the solution, resulting in a higher mEq/L of Ba.