PH, Alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration

In summary, the water has a high alkalinity (6250 mg/L) and a high carbonate concentration (0.125 moles per liter).
jetsetter

Homework Statement

If the pH of a natural water is 7.8 and the alkalinity was measured to be 125 meq/L, determine the following:
-Alkalinity as mg/L CaCO3: Answer = 6250 mg/l CaCO3
-Approximate the total carbonate concentration CT, in moles per liter: Answer = 0.125 moles per liter

Homework Equations

Not certain

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to determine the alkalinity by finding the equivalent weight of CaCO3, 50 g/eq. I then converted 125 meq/L to eq/L. Then I multiplied (50 g/eq)(0.125 eq/L)(1000 mg/g) and got an answer of 6250 mg/L of CaCO3. I am having trouble approximating the total carbonate concentration. Could someone help please?

Physics news on Phys.org
What is the definition of alkalinity? How is it related to the carbonate concentration?

Well, alkalinity is the buffering capacity of the liquid. The resistance of the liquid to pH change. The greater the carbonate concentration the greater the buffering capacity.

Let me put it differently then. How is carbonate alkalinity measured and how - in result of the way it is measured - does it depend on the carbonate concentration?

I am not asking about qualitative description, but about a simple quantitative one.

I realize it is going to be something like this:

Alkalinity = (1 eq/mol)([HCO3]) + (2 eq/mol)([CO3]) + (1 eq/mol)([OH]) - (1 eq/mol)([H])

The influence of the OH and H are minimal and easy to calculate. [H+] = 10^(-7.8), [OH-] = (10^(-7.8))/(1 x 10^(-14))

Last edited:
I also know that ultimately we will get something like this:

Alkalinity = f1Ct + f2Ct + [OH-] - [H+]

f1 and f2 need to be calculated in order to ascertain Ct.

You start with pH of 7.8. What do you have to neutralize?

Note: I don't like the answer given, IMHO it is slightly off.

We have to neutralize an H+ donating acid.

Which is?

You are giving the simplest possible answer, one that doesn't require any insight, and you wait for another hint. Try harder.

Carbonic Acid (H2CO3) I believe.

1. What is the difference between pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration?

pH is a measure of the acidity or basicity of a solution, with a lower pH indicating acidity and a higher pH indicating basicity. Alkalinity refers to the ability of a solution to resist changes in pH when an acid or base is added. Total carbonate concentration is a measure of the amount of carbonate ions in a solution, which can also affect the pH of the solution.

2. How do pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration affect aquatic environments?

pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration are important factors in maintaining a healthy aquatic environment. Changes in these parameters can affect the survival and growth of aquatic organisms and can also impact the solubility of minerals and nutrients in the water.

3. What is the relationship between pH and alkalinity?

pH and alkalinity are related, but they measure different aspects of a solution. pH measures the concentration of hydrogen ions, while alkalinity measures the solution's ability to neutralize acids. A high alkalinity can help buffer changes in pH, but a low alkalinity can lead to more rapid changes in pH.

4. How can pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration be measured?

pH can be measured using a pH meter or pH test strips. Alkalinity can be measured by titrating a solution with an acid until the pH reaches a certain level. Total carbonate concentration can be measured using a colorimetric method or by titrating with an acid and then using a formula to calculate the carbonate concentration.

5. What factors can influence pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration in natural systems?

Many factors can affect these parameters in natural systems, including the presence of minerals, atmospheric gases, and organic matter. Human activities such as pollution or nutrient runoff can also have a significant impact on pH, alkalinity, and total carbonate concentration in natural systems.