Calculate minimum value of force for a cart

In summary, the minimum value of h for the cart to just about fall off at point A is 25m, given a radius of 10m and a mass of 158kg with no friction in the system. This was calculated using the equation ΣFc = mac and the conservation of energy formula. It is recommended to clearly label variables and include units for easier understanding.
Inertialforce

Homework Statement

Given the diagram shown, calculate the minimum value of h such that when the cart reaches point A, it is just about to fall off.

R = 10m
mass of cart = 158kg
note: there is no friction in the entire system

Homework Equations

ΣFc = mac
(note: Fc = centripetal force and ac = centripetal acceleration)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am not sure if I got this question right but here is what I did:

First I drew a free body diagram for the part of the diagram that had centripetal forces acting on it (included in the attachments).

Then for my calculations I started out with the equation ΣFc = mac first and here is what I did:

ΣFc = mac
Fn + Fg = mv^2/r (Fn cancels out therefore):
Fg = mv^2/r
mg = mv^2/r (the m's cancel out)
g = v^2/r
(g)(r) = v^2
(9.80)(10) = v^2
98 = v^2

there is no friction in the system therefore:
ΔE = 0
(Epf - Epi) + (Ekf - Eki) = 0
Epf - Epi + Ekf - Eki = 0
Epf + Ekf = Epi + Eki (Eki = 0 therefore):
Epf + Ekf = Epi
mghf + 1/2mvf^2 = mghi (the m's cancel out):
ghf + 1/2vf^2 = ghi
(9.80)(2*10) + 1/2(98) = (9.80)hi (for here I put hf = 2R because the cart is at the very top of the loop here so therefore hf = 2 times the radius)
245/9.80 = hi
25m = hi

My question is, could someone please check this question to see if I did it right or if my answer is right, because I have three questions following this one that are quite similar in setup so I just want to make sure I am doing the first one correctly before I move onto the other three.

Attachments

• Gravitation Exercise.doc
    24.5 KB · Views: 156
  • Gravitation Free Body Diagram.doc
    23.5 KB · Views: 162
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Your approach and calculations seem correct. However, I would suggest labeling your variables and equations more clearly for easier understanding. Also, make sure to include units in your calculations and final answer. Other than that, your answer of 25m for the minimum value of h seems correct. Good job!

I would suggest double checking your calculations and making sure all units are consistent. It seems like you have the right approach, using the centripetal force equation and conservation of energy. However, your final answer of 25m seems too high. I would recommend going through your calculations again and checking for any mistakes. Additionally, it may be helpful to label your variables and units clearly to avoid any confusion. Once you have confirmed your calculations, you can move on to the other questions with confidence.

Related to Calculate minimum value of force for a cart

What is the purpose of calculating the minimum value of force for a cart?

The minimum value of force for a cart is calculated to determine the amount of force needed to move the cart from a stationary position or to keep it moving at a constant velocity. It can also help determine the maximum weight that the cart can carry without causing it to come to a stop.

What factors affect the minimum value of force for a cart?

The minimum value of force for a cart is affected by various factors, such as the weight of the cart, the weight of the load on the cart, the coefficient of friction between the cart and the surface it is moving on, and the incline or slope of the surface.

How is the minimum value of force for a cart calculated?

The minimum value of force for a cart can be calculated using the formula F = ma, where F represents force, m represents mass, and a represents acceleration. The mass of the cart and the load, as well as the acceleration due to gravity, can be used to calculate the minimum force needed to move the cart.

What are some practical applications of calculating the minimum value of force for a cart?

The calculation of the minimum value of force for a cart has practical applications in various industries, such as transportation, manufacturing, and logistics. It can help determine the size and power of a motor needed to move a cart or the amount of force required to lift and transport heavy objects.

What are the limitations of calculating the minimum value of force for a cart?

There are several limitations to calculating the minimum value of force for a cart, such as not accounting for external factors like air resistance and the effects of acceleration and deceleration. Additionally, the calculation assumes ideal conditions and may not accurately reflect real-world scenarios.