Calculate Molal Solution and Freezing Point | Chemistry Lab Equations

In summary, the student attempted to solve a chemistry problem, but wasn't sure how to find the missing information and asked for help. The help the student received was to convert the values to grams and to look up a freezing point depression constant for water.
Erica23
Chemistry Lab equations :(

1. Homework Statement [/b]
Here is the question:
-A solution was prepared by dissolving 0.46 kg of ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) in 2.46 kg of water.
A.) calculate the molal solution
B.) calculate the expected freezing point of the solution

Homework Equations

m= (moles of solute)/(kg of solvent)

change (delta) Tf =Tf - T'f =Kf(m)

The Attempt at a Solution

Question a:
atomic weights of ethylene glycol (C2H6O2) (12 x 2) + (1 x 6) + (16 x 2) = approx 62

moles of (C2H6O2): 46 g x (1 mol)/62 g = .742 mol

m= .742 mol/2.46 kg water = .3 mol

**** the answer to this problem is supposed to be 3 m... so how do I only get .3? What am I doing wrong? I have e-mailed and asked my teacher, but she is too busy to give me a straight answer that I understand and won't explain the steps.

Question b:
change (delta) Tf =Tf - T'f =Kf(m)

Tf= 0 degrees C (since the initial solvent is water and water's freezing point is 0 degrees C)
m= 0.742 from the previous equation... if it is correct.

The problem I am having with this one is that I don't know where to get the additional information for the remaining constants. How do I know what Kf is? Any help would be greatly appreciated as this is due tomorrow, and my teacher has STILL not e-mailed me back :( Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org

You didn't convert 0.46 kg to grams correctly, off by one decimal place.

For part B, m is the molality of the solute, not moles of the solute.
Lots of common solvents have kf values which are freezing point depression constants. kf of water is 1.86°C/m. Plug that into the equation, and remember that that gives you only the freezing point depression, there's one more step to find the actual freezing point.

Thank you! You are my hero :)

What are the 5 most frequently asked questions about "Chemistry Lab equations"?

1. What is the purpose of using equations in a chemistry lab?

Equations are used in a chemistry lab to describe the relationship between different substances and their reactions. This allows scientists to predict the outcome of a chemical reaction and understand the changes that occur during the reaction.

2. How do you balance a chemical equation?

To balance a chemical equation, you need to make sure that the number of atoms of each element present on the reactant side is equal to the number of atoms of each element on the product side. This can be achieved by adjusting the coefficients in front of each compound.

3. Can you use any numbers to balance a chemical equation?

No, the coefficients in a chemical equation must be whole numbers. This is because they represent the number of molecules or atoms of each substance involved in the reaction.

4. What is the difference between a formula equation and a balanced equation?

A formula equation is a simplified version of a chemical reaction, while a balanced equation shows the correct number of atoms of each element involved. A formula equation does not follow the law of conservation of mass, whereas a balanced equation does.

5. How can chemistry equations be used to calculate the amount of product formed?

By using stoichiometry, which is the relationship between the moles of reactants and products in a chemical reaction, chemistry equations can be used to calculate the amount of product formed. This allows scientists to determine the yield of a reaction and make predictions about the outcome of a reaction.