Calculate Molar Mass of Acetone: 0.239g @766mm Hg & 100°C

In summary, the conversation focuses on calculating the molar mass of acetone using equations and proportions. The speaker is struggling to understand how to get the molar mass from the given information and their teacher's explanations. After some discussion and guidance, they are able to figure out the correct calculation and also determine the value of R.
Hammertong
A 125mL flask contains 0.239g of acetone vapor at 766mm Hg and 100*C. Calculate the molar mass of acetone.
766x125/373Kx273K/760=92.210mL
.239g/92.210/1000=2.592g/mL
Where am I going wrong? I have no idea if I'm anywhere close.

Physics news on Phys.org
Those equations aren't really what we want.

Hint: molar mass is the number of grams per moles.

I know what molar mass is, but I don't understand how to get it from what I'm given. My teacher goes over the equations once then moves on. Then he expects us to be able to do it backwards, forwards, and sideways.
I figured it out, I just needed to multiply my end answer by 22.4L to get weight of one mole at STP.

Last edited:
Not sure anymore how all the units work; "R" is the complicated part, but the question seems like an ideal gas type. PV=nRT. You can determine the number of moles from that, "n". Next, you compare the number of moles to the number of grams of mass, which you are given.

These things are basically simple proportions.

A mole as you say occupies 22.4 l under standard conditions (still called STP or NTP?) . Got a texbook to check out how those are defined?
The excercise is not under standard conditions, but a higher temperature.
Again it is simple proportions - you have to know what absolute temperature means.
You do not need to use explicitly that equation - if you use the Charles temperature proportionality law you are using it implicitly anyway .
You can actually work out R from the above information.
Hope these thing become clear and simple. :smile:

What is the formula for calculating molar mass?

The formula for calculating molar mass is: Molar Mass = Mass / Moles

What is the molar mass of acetone?

The molar mass of acetone is 58.08 g/mol.

How do I calculate the molar mass of a substance?

To calculate the molar mass of a substance, you will need to know the mass of the substance and the number of moles present. Then, use the formula Molar Mass = Mass / Moles to calculate the molar mass.

What are the units for molar mass?

The units for molar mass are grams per mole (g/mol).

Can I use the ideal gas law to calculate the molar mass of acetone?

Yes, you can use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the molar mass of acetone. By rearranging the equation to solve for molar mass (M = mRT/PV), you can plug in the given values for pressure, temperature, and mass to calculate the molar mass.