Calculate Mole Fraction, Density, & %w/w given Molarity and Molality?

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the mole fraction, density, and % w/w of a given aqueous solution at 25°C. The solution contains Cr2(SO4)3 at 1.26 mol/L and 1.37 mol/kg. The formula for converting molarity to molality is discussed, with the suggestion to derive the formula. Another approach is to imagine having 1000 g of the solution and using molality to find the moles of chromium(III) sulfate and molarity to find the volume. Density can then be calculated using the volume and mass.
kariibex

Homework Statement

Consider the following aqueous solution at 25°C

Cr2(SO4)3, 1.26 mol/L, 1.37 mol/kg

Calculate the mole fraction, density and % w/w

Homework Equations

χ = n Cr2(SO4)3 / n Cr2(SO4)3 + n H2O
Unit conversions
ρ= g solvent / mL solution
% w/w = mass solvent / 100 g solution

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted to solve for density first:

1.26 mol/L x 391.992g/mol x 1 L / 1000 mL = 0.493g/mL (The actual answer is 1.41g/mL)

Without density I do not know how to figure out the mole fraction. I am stuck at this part so far.

Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Most general approach: try to derive the formula for conversion of molarity to molality. You will find molality is a function of molarity, density and molar mass - solve for density, all others are known.

Less general approach: imagine you have 1000 g of the solution. How many moles of chromium(III) sulfate does it contain (hint: use molality)? If so, what volume does it have (hint: use molarity)? Can you find density now, knowing volume and mass?

What is mole fraction?

Mole fraction is a unitless measure of the amount of a specific component in a mixture, expressed as the ratio of the number of moles of that component to the total number of moles in the mixture.

How do I calculate mole fraction?

To calculate mole fraction, divide the number of moles of the desired component by the total number of moles in the mixture.

What is density?

Density is a measure of the amount of mass in a given volume of a substance. It is commonly expressed in units of grams per milliliter (g/mL) or grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm^3).

How do I calculate density?

To calculate density, divide the mass of the substance by its volume. Make sure to use consistent units for both mass and volume.

What is %w/w and how is it related to molarity and molality?

%w/w (weight/weight) is a measure of the concentration of a solute in a solution, expressed as the mass of the solute divided by the total mass of the solution multiplied by 100%. It is related to molarity and molality through the density of the solution, which can be used to convert between the different concentration units.