Calculate Moles of Terephthalic Acid from PET Depolymerization

• Thread starter PoisonCupcake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    pet
In summary, the experiment involved depolymerizing PET plastic into terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol. The amount of PET reacted was 2.482g or 0.01291605 mol, which was determined by subtracting the mass of unreacted PET from the initial 3g used. The theoretical yield of terephthalic acid can be calculated by assuming that 1 mole of acid is produced per 1 mole of copolymer units, which is not a precise measurement in polymer chemistry.
PoisonCupcake

Homework Statement

Hi, I recently did a lab where PET plastic was depolymerized into terephthalic acid and ethylene glycol. I was wondering how to figure out the moles of terephthalic acid (in mol) that was reacted. I'm not really sure how to calculate this since terephthalic acid isn't a reactant itself and is just mostly present in the form of a copolymer.
PET reacted = 2.482g or 0.01291605 mol
Mass of the copolymer unit = 192.164 g/mol
Mass of terephthalic acid = 166.128 g/mol
Mass of ethylene glycol = 62.068 g/mol

The Attempt at a Solution

If terephathalic acid was a reactant I would think it would mean that since 0.01291605 mol of PET reacted, 0.01291605 mol of terephathalic acid reacted, but don't know if this is correct.

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You are doing some strange things. How do you know number of moles of PET? And what do you mean by "acid that reacted" - acid that was produced?

In the experiment we used 3g of PET plastic and after it had been in the reflux condenser I weighed out how much PET plastic hadn't reacted, which when subtracted from the 3g, gave me the mass (2.482g). I converted that into the amount of moles of PET that reacted with this equation : (1 mol PET copolymer unit/192.164g)*2.482g = 0.01291605 mol.

What's meant about the amount of acid reacted is the theoretical yield as I need to do % yield calculations. It's definitely not the amount of acid produced though, as that was weighed out at the end.

So when you state "moles of PET" you really mean "moles of copolymer unit". That's not exactly how a mole is understood in polymer chemistry.

But I agree - seems like 1 mole of acid is produced per 1 mole of copolymer units.

Hello,

Thank you for sharing your lab results with me. To calculate the moles of terephthalic acid (TA) present in the PET depolymerization reaction, we can use the following equation:

Moles of TA = (Mass of PET reacted in grams) x (1 mol PET/192.164 g PET) x (2 mol TA/1 mol PET) x (166.128 g TA/1 mol TA)

Plugging in your values, we get:

Moles of TA = (2.482 g) x (1 mol PET/192.164 g PET) x (2 mol TA/1 mol PET) x (166.128 g TA/1 mol TA) = 0.01291605 mol TA

So, your initial assumption was correct. Since PET and TA are in a 2:2 ratio in the copolymer, the moles of PET reacted is equal to the moles of TA reacted. I hope this helps clarify the calculation for you. Let me know if you have any further questions. Good luck with your lab!

1. How do you calculate moles of terephthalic acid from PET depolymerization?

To calculate moles of terephthalic acid from PET depolymerization, you need to know the mass of PET used and the molar mass of terephthalic acid. The equation for calculating moles is: moles = mass/molar mass. Simply divide the mass of PET by the molar mass of terephthalic acid to get the number of moles.

2. What is the molar mass of terephthalic acid?

The molar mass of terephthalic acid is 166.13 g/mol.

3. How is PET depolymerization used to calculate moles of terephthalic acid?

PET depolymerization is a process that breaks down PET (polyethylene terephthalate) into its monomers, including terephthalic acid. By knowing the mass of PET used and the molar mass of terephthalic acid, we can calculate the moles of terephthalic acid produced through depolymerization.

4. Can you explain the importance of calculating moles of terephthalic acid from PET depolymerization?

Calculating moles of terephthalic acid from PET depolymerization is important because it allows us to determine the efficiency of the depolymerization process. It also helps in determining the amount of terephthalic acid that can be produced from a certain amount of PET, which is useful in industrial applications.

5. Are there any other factors that can affect the accuracy of calculating moles of terephthalic acid from PET depolymerization?

Yes, there are other factors that can affect the accuracy of this calculation, such as impurities in the PET material, incomplete depolymerization, and experimental errors. It is important to ensure that the PET material used is pure and the depolymerization process is carried out correctly to obtain accurate results.