Estimating number of amino acids with protein molecular mass

In summary, to estimate the number of amino acids present in a protein with a molecular mass of 65,000 g/mol, one can divide the protein's weight by the average weight of its amino acids. In this case, dividing by 110 g/mol (the average weight of an amino acid) would result in an approximate number of 590 amino acids. However, it is important to note that this is only an approximation as the exact number cannot be calculated.
Not a Wrench

Homework Statement

Suppose you were told you had a protein with molecular mass of 65,000 g/mol. Show how you would estimate the number of amino acids present in this protein. Keep in mind that you cannot calculate the exact number, the point of this is to approximate how many amino acids are present.

Homework Equations

I think I would need to divide the protein's weight by the average weigh of its amino acids, right? Problem is how am I suppose to do this when no average weight for amino acids is given in the problem?

The Attempt at a Solution

I just divided 65000 Da by 110 Da (googled average weight of an amino acid) and got about 590 amino acids in the protein. I am completely unsure if this is correct as my lab never discussed this at all while doing bio-spectroscopy. Help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is the correct approach. Your instructor likely expected you to look up the average MW of an amino acid as it is fairly easily found either in a textbook or through Google.

What is the relationship between protein molecular mass and the number of amino acids?

Protein molecular mass is directly proportional to the number of amino acids in a protein. This means that as the number of amino acids increases, so does the molecular mass of the protein.

How do you estimate the number of amino acids based on protein molecular mass?

To estimate the number of amino acids in a protein based on its molecular mass, you can use the equation: Number of amino acids = Molecular mass / Average mass of an amino acid. The average mass of an amino acid is approximately 110 daltons.

Is there a standard method for estimating the number of amino acids with protein molecular mass?

Yes, the method described in the previous question is the standard method for estimating the number of amino acids with protein molecular mass. However, the accuracy of the estimation may vary depending on the composition of the protein.

Can the estimated number of amino acids be used to determine the exact sequence of amino acids in a protein?

No, the estimated number of amino acids only gives an approximation of the number of amino acids in a protein. To determine the exact sequence of amino acids, other methods such as protein sequencing or mass spectrometry are needed.

Are there any limitations to estimating the number of amino acids with protein molecular mass?

Yes, there are some limitations to this method. It assumes that the protein is made up of standard amino acids and does not take into account any modifications or non-standard amino acids that may be present. Additionally, it may not be accurate for very large or very small proteins.