Calculate N for 95% Confidence in Iodine in Sea Water

• Thread starter Aerodynamic20
  • Start date
In summary: This was done using the formula n = (t^2)(s^2)/((u-x)^2), where t represents the t-value at 95% confidence, s is the sample standard deviation, and e is the desired margin of error. In summary, the minimum number of samples needed is approximately 140.
Aerodynamic20

Homework Statement

The determination of iodine in sea water gave a mean value of 46.43 μg/L and a sample standard deviation ss of 1.37 μg/L.

What is the minimum number of samples (N) which must be analyzed to have 95% confidence that the mean value differs from the true value by no more than 2.0%?

Homework Equations

u-x(bar)= +/- ts/rt(n) -------> n=(t^2)(s^2)/((u-x)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know from the confident interval, the minimum at 95% is 1.96=t, s=1.37, e=0.02,
where am I going wrong?

Help please

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's been awhile since I've done stats, but doesn't the t value depend on your degrees of freedom, which in turn depends on n?

Dopefish1337 said:
It's been awhile since I've done stats, but doesn't the t value depend on your degrees of freedom, which in turn depends on n?

It does but it is not given in the question. I don't know how possible it is to find the degree a freedom from the information given in the question. Any ideas folks?

For assumed N t is easy to calculate, isn't it? My stats are rusty as hell, but I think you can just prepare a table confidence vs N and check what N value is enough.

--
methods

1. How do I calculate N for 95% confidence in iodine in sea water?

The formula for calculating N for 95% confidence in iodine in sea water is: N = (z*σ/E)^2, where z is the z-score for 95% confidence (1.96), σ is the standard deviation of the sample, and E is the margin of error.

2. What is the significance of calculating N for 95% confidence in iodine in sea water?

Calculating N for 95% confidence allows you to determine the minimum sample size needed to accurately estimate the iodine levels in sea water with a confidence level of 95%. This helps ensure that your results are reliable and representative of the entire population.

3. How do I determine the standard deviation of the sample for calculating N for 95% confidence?

The standard deviation of the sample can be calculated by taking the square root of the variance of the sample. The variance is calculated by taking the sum of the squared differences between each data point and the mean, and then dividing by the sample size.

4. Can I use this formula for any confidence level?

Yes, the formula can be used for calculating N for any desired confidence level. Simply replace the z-score with the appropriate value for the desired confidence level (e.g. 1.96 for 95% confidence, 2.58 for 99% confidence).

5. How can I use the calculated N for 95% confidence in iodine in sea water?

The calculated N can be used to determine the appropriate sample size for your study. If your sample size is smaller than the calculated N, you may need to collect more data to achieve a 95% confidence level in your results. If your sample size is larger than the calculated N, you may have more data than necessary and could potentially reduce the sample size to save time and resources without significantly impacting the confidence level.