Confidence Interval, p-value and Critical Region

In summary, the conversation discusses a statistical problem involving data on the wingspans of adult robins. The sample mean and variance are given, and the conversation goes on to discuss constructing a confidence interval, calculating p-values for different hypotheses, and determining the critical region for a given alpha value. The conversation also includes some confusion and requests for help.
amr21
Hello, I have been struggling with this question for a few days now would appreciate being walked through it! :)

Data are collected on the wingspans of adult robins. For N=20 birds, the sample mean and variance are given by \(\displaystyle \overline{x}\)=9.5cm and \(\displaystyle s^{2}=2.6^{2}cm^{2}\)

a) If we assume that the true population variance, \(\displaystyle \sigma^{2}\), is known to be \(\displaystyle 2.6^{2}cm^{2}\) (i.e. using a Z-test), construct a 95% confidence interval for the population mean.

b) What is the p-value for testing the null Hypothesis \(\displaystyle {H}_{0}:\mu=10cm\) against \(\displaystyle {H}_{A}:\mu<10cm\)

c) What is the p-value for testing \(\displaystyle {H}_{0}:\mu=8.9cm\) against \(\displaystyle {H}_{1}:\mu\ne8.9cm\)

d) For the hypothesis of part c what is the critical region for \(\displaystyle \alpha=0.01\)?

- I am unsure if I am doing part a correctly, I think it is \(\displaystyle \overline{x}~N(9.5, 0.581)\), where 0.581 is \(\displaystyle \sqrt{\frac{2.6^{2}}{20}}\) and I think the confidence interval is calculated using \(\displaystyle \overline{x}\pm1.96\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt(20)}\), is this correct?

Thanks for any help with the next parts, pretty new to stats so I think the wording is what's confusing me!

Physics news on Phys.org
- For part b, the p-value is calculated using a one-tailed test. The null hypothesis is that the mean is 10 cm and the alternative hypothesis is that the mean is less than 10 cm. The formula for the p-value is P(Z<test statistic) = P(Z<[(\overline{x}-\mu_0)/\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{N}}]) = P(Z<[(9.5-10)/\frac{2.6}{\sqrt{20}}]) = 0.039. - For part c, the p-value is calculated using a two-tailed test. The null hypothesis is that the mean is 8.9 cm and the alternative hypothesis is that the mean is not equal to 8.9 cm. The formula for the p-value is P(|Z|>test statistic) = P(|Z|>[(\overline{x}-\mu_0)/\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{N}}]) = P(|Z|>[(9.5-8.9)/\frac{2.6}{\sqrt{20}}]) = 0.084. - For part d, the critical region for alpha=0.01 is the region of the z-distribution where z is greater than 2.575 or less than -2.575. This means that if the test statistic is greater than 2.575 or less than -2.575, then the null hypothesis should be rejected.

1. What is a confidence interval?

A confidence interval is a range of values that is likely to include the true population parameter with a certain level of confidence. It is used to estimate the range of values in which the true population parameter lies based on a sample from the population.

2. How is a confidence interval calculated?

A confidence interval is calculated using a sample mean, standard deviation, and a margin of error. The margin of error is typically determined by the desired level of confidence and the sample size. The formula for a confidence interval is: sample mean ± (critical value) x (standard deviation / square root of sample size).

3. What is a p-value?

A p-value is the probability of obtaining a sample statistic at least as extreme as the one observed if the null hypothesis is true. It is used in hypothesis testing to determine the significance of the results and is typically compared to a predetermined significance level.

4. How is a p-value interpreted?

The interpretation of a p-value depends on the significance level chosen for the test. If the p-value is less than the significance level, it is considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis is rejected. If the p-value is greater than the significance level, the results are not considered statistically significant and the null hypothesis cannot be rejected.

5. What is a critical region?

A critical region is a range of values that, if obtained as a sample statistic, would lead to the rejection of the null hypothesis. The critical region is determined by the significance level and is used in hypothesis testing to determine whether the results are statistically significant or not.