Calculate new RPM after change in g-force in a centrifuge

In summary: Your working is very hard to follow. Mistakes like leaving out an "r" and omitting a power of 2 in:"Since ac = v2/r and r is constant, ac changes according with v2"don't help. And you keep using"=>" in ways that are not mathematically defined. Not sure how to read them.If you can write it out in a way that others can follow, you'll probably understand it better yourself....
EFB
Homework Statement
A laboratory centrifuge on earth makes n rpm (rev/min) and produces an acceleration of 6.50 g at its outer end.

This centrifuge is now used in a space capsule on the planet Mercury, where g is 0.378 what it is on earth. How many rpm (in terms of n ) should it make to produce 4 g at its outer end?
Relevant Equations
Maybe: A=RPM∗pi∗2/60∗r
where A = "acceleration from RPM", r = "radius"
Supposed answer = 0.482n

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF. :smile:

EFB said:
Relevant Equations:: RCF = (RPM)^2 * 1,1118*10^(-5)*r
What is RCF? And where did you get this formula? And what are the units of each quantity in that formula?

EDIT -- It appears the OP has edited his post to change his Relevant Equation. Whatever.

@EFB -- Instead of editing your original post (OP) after it has been replied to, please just add a new reply that updates what you were wanting to post. That can eliminate confusion by your first responding users. Thanks.

Last edited:
Likes EFB
EFB said:
Relevant Equations:: Maybe: A=RPM∗pi∗2/60∗r
Certainly RPM∗pi∗2/60 is the rotation rate converted to radians per second, which is useful. But multiplying that by a distance, r, gives something with the dimension length/time. That is not an acceleration.
What sort of acceleration does a centrifuge produce (the clue is in the name)?
What is the formula for that sort of acceleration?
What direction does it act in?

And why does the local value of g matter for centrifuge operation? :wink:

Likes Bystander
Is that the exact statement of the problem? The term g is used to represent two different things. Good grief.

Likes SammyS and berkeman
hutchphd said:
Is that the exact statement of the problem? The term g is used to represent two different things. Good grief.
Good point. So which one is meant in "How many rpm … should it make to produce 4 g at its outer end?"?

berkeman said:
And why does the local value of g matter for centrifuge operation? :wink:
A centrifuge rotating at 0 RPM on earth produces a g force of 1 gee.

A centrifuge producing a resultant of 6.5 gee on earth must be generating some lesser amount of centripetal acceleration.

Last edited:
Likes hutchphd
EFB said:
Homework Statement:: A laboratory centrifuge on earth makes n rpm (rev/min) and produces an acceleration of 6.50 g at its outer end.

This centrifuge is now used in a space capsule on the planet Mercury, where g is 0.378 what it is on earth. How many rpm (in terms of n ) should it make to produce 4 g at its outer end?
Relevant Equations:: Maybe: A=RPM∗pi∗2/60∗r
where A = "acceleration from RPM", r = "radius"

Supposed answer = 0.482n
Edit: gMercury = 0.378 * gEarth
Question: How many rpm(in terms of n) should it make to produce 4 gMercury at its outer end?

EFB said:
Edit: gMercury = 0.378 * gEarth
Question: How many rpm(in terms of n) should it make to produce 4 gMercury at its outer end?
That's clearer. So please post an attempt. You could start by trying to answer my questions in post #3.

Likes EFB
haruspex said:
Certainly RPM∗pi∗2/60 is the rotation rate converted to radians per second, which is useful. But multiplying that by a distance, r, gives something with the dimension length/time. That is not an acceleration.
What sort of acceleration does a centrifuge produce (the clue is in the name)?
What is the formula for that sort of acceleration?
What direction does it act in?
acentrifugal = v2/r
The direction of acentrifugal is straight outwards from the edge of the circular motion.

haruspex said:
That's clearer. So please post an attempt. You could start by trying to answer my questions in post #3.
Since ac = v2 and r is constant, ac changes according with v.
v is represented by n rpm.
n rpm => ac,Earth/0.378 gMercury
Wanted: k, where k is constant such that k * n => ac = 4 gMercury:
k * n => 4/(ac,Earth/0.378)
Since k * n rpm is the velocity and a is altered according with v:
k = √(4/(ac,Earth/0.378))
Ans: 0.482*n rpm
I get the right answer, but do not fully understand what I have done. I have tried to write down the solution as I best understand it.

EFB said:
Since ac = v2 and r is constant, ac changes according with v.
v is represented by n rpm.
n rpm => ac,Earth/0.378 gMercury
Wanted: k, where k is constant such that k * n => ac = 4 gMercury:
k * n => 4/(ac,Earth/0.378)
Since k * n rpm is the velocity and a is altered according with v:
k = √(4/(ac,Earth/0.378))
Ans: 0.482*n rpm
I get the right answer, but do not fully understand what I have done. I have tried to write down the solution as I best understand it.
Your working is very hard to follow. Mistakes like leaving out an "r" and omitting a power of 2 in:
"Since ac = v2/r and r is constant, ac changes according with v2"
don't help. And you keep using"=>" in ways that are not mathematically defined. Not sure how to read them.
If you can write it out in a way that others can follow, you'll probably understand it better yourself.

1. How do I calculate the new RPM after a change in g-force in a centrifuge?

To calculate the new RPM, you will need to use the equation RPM2 = RPM1 x (G2/G1)^1/2, where RPM1 is the initial RPM, G1 is the initial g-force, RPM2 is the new RPM, and G2 is the new g-force. This equation assumes that the radius of the centrifuge remains constant.

2. What is the relationship between RPM and g-force in a centrifuge?

The relationship between RPM and g-force in a centrifuge is directly proportional. This means that as the RPM increases, the g-force also increases.

3. Can I use the same equation to calculate the new RPM for any type of centrifuge?

Yes, the equation RPM2 = RPM1 x (G2/G1)^1/2 can be used to calculate the new RPM for any type of centrifuge, as long as the radius remains constant.

4. Is there a limit to how much the RPM can be increased in a centrifuge?

Yes, there is a limit to how much the RPM can be increased in a centrifuge. This limit is determined by the maximum g-force that the centrifuge can generate without causing damage to the samples or the centrifuge itself.

5. How does changing the g-force affect the separation of particles in a centrifuge?

Changing the g-force in a centrifuge can affect the separation of particles by increasing or decreasing the sedimentation rate. Higher g-forces can cause particles to settle faster, while lower g-forces can result in slower sedimentation rates.