Calculate Phosphorus Atoms in 8.75 Moles of H2P2O7 | Stoichiometry Help

In summary, the question asks for the number of phosphorus atoms in 8.75 moles of H2P2O7, which can be calculated by first finding the number of atoms in 1 mole of phosphorus and then multiplying it by 8.75. This results in 1.05E25 (1.05 × 1025) phosphorus atoms. Knowing this can help the student achieve an A on their upcoming test.
sweetshelly
This is the question:
How many phosphorus atoms are contained in 8.75 moles of H2P2O7? Put your answer in E-format with 1 number before and 2 numbers after the decimal place. e.g., 6.02 x 1023 would be input as 6.02E23.

the answer is : 1.05E25 (1.05 × 1025)

I really have no idea where to start. Please someone help me

Physics news on Phys.org
To start off, how many atoms are there in 1 mole of phosphorus atoms?

This link should aid your understanding.
http://www.fordhamprep.org/gcurran/sho/sho/skills/moleconex.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
You've been given 8.75 moles of H2P2O7, which contains 2x8.75 moles of H, 2x8.75 moles of P, and 7x8.75 moles of O. In one mole of anything (H2P2O7, P atoms, eggplants, etc), there are 6.02E23 particles.

kinthos said:
You've been given 8.75 moles of H2P2O7, which contains 2x8.75 moles of H, 2x8.75 moles of P, and 7x8.75 moles of O. In one mole of anything (H2P2O7, P atoms, eggplants, etc), there are 6.02E23 particles.

wow thank you so much. This explanation gave me the correct answer. I really appreciate your help a lot. This is part of our exam review. If I didn't know how to solve this problem I would miss it. I can't afford not knowing something b/c we only have 20 questions total. I need an A on tomorrow test to make an A average for the semester. You're the greatest :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

Related to Calculate Phosphorus Atoms in 8.75 Moles of H2P2O7 | Stoichiometry Help

What is stoichiometry?

Stoichiometry is the branch of chemistry that deals with the quantitative relationships and calculations between reactants and products in a chemical reaction.

What is a mole?

A mole is a unit of measurement used in chemistry to represent a specific amount of a substance. It is equal to the Avogadro constant, which is approximately 6.02 x 10^23 particles.

How do you calculate the number of phosphorus atoms in a given amount of a compound?

To calculate the number of phosphorus atoms in a compound, you will need to use the molar mass of the compound and Avogadro's number. First, calculate the molar mass of the compound (in this case, H2P2O7). Then, use the formula: number of atoms = (moles of compound)(Avogadro's number)(number of atoms of phosphorus in compound). In this example, it would be (8.75 mol)(6.02 x 10^23 atoms/mol)(2 atoms of phosphorus in H2P2O7) = 1.055 x 10^25 phosphorus atoms.

What is the purpose of calculating the number of atoms in a compound?

Calculating the number of atoms in a compound is important because it allows us to determine the amount of each element present in a given sample. This information can be used to determine the percent composition of the compound and to make predictions about its properties and behavior.

Can the same method be used to calculate the number of atoms for all compounds?

No, the method for calculating the number of atoms in a compound will vary depending on the specific compound and the elements present. However, the general formula (moles of compound)(Avogadro's number)(number of atoms of the element in the compound) can be used for most compounds.