Calculate Pressure in Hydraulic Cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder using the equation F= PXA and F=mxa. The load of 375 kg is applied to the piston with a diameter of 95 mm. The correct method for calculating the pressure is to sum the external force and the weight of the piston, divided by the area of the piston. The final answer is 484.5 kPa.
jezman
hey everyone, can someone please help me out with this one, I am a bit stuck with this
using the law F = PXA and F = mxa

calculate the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder, when the load of 375kg, is applied to the piston
piston diameter it 95mm

so far what i have worked out is as follows
force on the piston is:
F = M x 9.81
= 250x9.81 = 2452.5N

now for the area
pi x rxr
= 3.1416 x 37.5x37.5
=4417.86 mm2

now if I am correct i need to change the mm2 to m2?
so...
4417.86mm2 /1,000,000
=0.00441786m2

therefore...
f=2452.5N
A=0.00441786m2
P = F/A ?
555,133.028p
or 555.133kp

is this correct guys or am i way out?
if anyone could help me out with this it would be greatly appreciated
thansk

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
You might want to check the value that you used for the radius of the cylinder.

Other than that your method looks fine.

If the load is 375 kg, why did you use 250 kg in your calculations?

SteamKing said:
If the load is 375 kg, why did you use 250 kg in your calculations?

Good catch SteamKing. I missed that second error!

Actually , all your work is messed up , the pressure inside the cylinder would be the summation of the external force and the weight of the piston divided by the area of the piston..

So:

P= ( Fex + W ) / A

A= 3.14 * d^2 / 4 = 3.14 * (0.095)^2 / 4 = 0.0071 m^2

Fex = 375 * 9.81 = 3.44 k N

..and since you didn't mention the mass of the piston I'll assume its negligible

so now:

P = 3.44 / 0.0071 = 484.5 kPa

Related to Calculate Pressure in Hydraulic Cylinder

What is a hydraulic cylinder?

A hydraulic cylinder is a mechanical device that uses fluid power to generate linear force and motion. It consists of a cylindrical barrel, a piston, and a piston rod. When fluid is pumped into the cylinder, it creates pressure that moves the piston, which in turn moves the piston rod to perform work.

How do you calculate the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder?

The formula for calculating pressure in a hydraulic cylinder is: Pressure (in pounds per square inch) = Force (in pounds) / Area (in square inches). This means that the more force applied to the piston, or the smaller the area of the piston, the greater the pressure generated in the cylinder.

What factors affect the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder?

The pressure in a hydraulic cylinder is affected by the force applied to the piston, the area of the piston, and the fluid used in the system. Additionally, the design and condition of the cylinder, as well as external factors such as temperature and altitude, can also impact the pressure.

Why is it important to calculate the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder?

Calculating the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder is important for ensuring the safe and efficient operation of the system. It allows you to determine the amount of force that will be generated by the cylinder and whether it is within the safe operating range. This information is crucial for maintaining the integrity of the equipment and preventing potential hazards or malfunctions.

Can the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder be adjusted?

Yes, the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder can be adjusted by changing the amount of force applied to the piston or by adjusting the area of the piston. This can be done manually or through the use of valves and pumps in the hydraulic system. It is important to consult a professional or refer to the manufacturer's specifications when adjusting the pressure in a hydraulic cylinder to ensure safe and proper operation.