Calculate Pressure Increase of an Aerosol in Sunlight

In summary: Hint: use the fact that V_1=V_2)Once you have that, you can substitute it in the equation P_2 V_2 = nRT_2 and isolate P_2. This will give you the new pressure in the can after the temperature has risen.In summary, to calculate the new pressure in the aerosol can after its temperature has risen from 17 C to 27 C with a 35% increase in the amount of vapor present, you will first need to use the ideal gas law equation P_1 V_1 = nRT_1 to find the initial pressure (P_1) at 17 C. Then, use the fact that the volume (V) remains constant
ibysaiyan

Homework Statement

An Aerosol has a of pressure 250kpa at 17 C.The aerosol is left in the sun and its temp.rises to 27 C.Calculate new pressure in the can if its a 35% increase in the amount of vapour present.

Homework Equations

P/T= constant

The Attempt at a Solution

well tbh i am just confused.. do i get T= into kelvin, ok i tried that too...
my first attemp was:
1)(273.15+27)-(17+273.15)=10kelvin
so what i did:10x250x10^3/100= 25kPa
so pressure at 27 is: 250+25=275Kpa
2)
2nd attempt:
PV=nRT
P/T=nr/v
=>P/T= constant
250x10^3/10kelvin=25kpa... which if i add to 250 gives me same answer.. lol i have confused my self badly -(. first i forgot to convert C into Kelvin .
Thanks for the replies in adv.

Physics news on Phys.org
Try and work in an ordered way. Always try and structure your work in advance. Write out what you know, and what you're looking for.

And I think you shouldn't work with [tex]P/T=constant[/tex]
That's just a misleading way of saying that the volume is constant, and I think it can only lead to confusion.

Initial state:

[tex]P_1 V_1 = nRT_1[/tex]

[tex]P_1= 250kPa[/tex]

[tex]V_1=V_2[/tex] (As long as the can doesn't deform, its total volume remains the same)

[tex]T_1=(17+273.15) ^o K[/tex]

Final state:

[tex]P_2 V_2 = nRT_2[/tex]

We are looking for [tex]P_2[/tex]

[tex]V_2=V_1[/tex]

[tex]T_2=(27+273.15) ^o K[/tex]

Now all that you need to do is isolate [tex]P_2[/tex] and express it in terms of known quantities.

Last edited:
ermm sorry i don't get it , do you mean that i should isolate p2 =nRT2/v2

ibysaiyan said:
ermm sorry i don't get it , do you mean that i should isolate p2 =nRT2/v2

Yes...
Now find a way to express [tex]V_2[/tex] in terms of known quantities.

1. How does sunlight affect the pressure of an aerosol?

Sunlight can cause an increase in temperature of an aerosol, which in turn can cause an increase in pressure. This is due to the increase in kinetic energy of the particles, causing them to collide more frequently and with greater force.

2. Is the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight significant?

The pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight can vary and may not always be significant. It depends on factors such as the type and concentration of particles in the aerosol and the intensity of sunlight. However, in some cases, the pressure increase can be significant enough to affect the behavior and properties of the aerosol.

3. How can I calculate the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight?

To calculate the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight, you will need to know the initial pressure and temperature of the aerosol, as well as the change in temperature caused by sunlight. You can then use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to calculate the new pressure, where P is the new pressure, V is the volume of the aerosol, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the new temperature in Kelvin.

4. Is the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight reversible?

The pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight is reversible if the temperature returns to its initial value. This means that if the aerosol is removed from sunlight and allowed to cool back to its initial temperature, the pressure will also return to its initial value.

5. Are there any safety concerns associated with the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight?

In some cases, the pressure increase of an aerosol in sunlight can lead to safety concerns, especially if the aerosol is contained in a sealed container. The increase in pressure can cause the container to burst or explode, posing a potential hazard. It is important to carefully monitor and control the pressure of aerosols in sunlight to ensure safety.