Calculate resistance if the switch is closed 2 battery with different voltage

In summary: Think about what conditions must exist for there to be no current drawn from E2 when its branch (E2 and R2 in series) is connected. What drives current in a circuit?I = V / Rif I = 0 with R = 4 then I = 0/4 that's mean on that R2 doesn't have more voltage (V=0) because all the voltage used by R3 ?because the batteries have different voltage, the higher voltage will charge the lower one until they have same voltages. then Voltage on R3(after upper node), V = V1+V2 / 2 = 15V.and before reach the upper node the V1 (left
FJay
Member advised to use the homework template for posts in the homework sections of PF.

Homework Statement

before that, can you tell me about "current flow in this circuit" if :
A. the switch is open
B. the switch is closed
elec_zpsvtcnmdoh.png

the Question is
No. 1 Calculate the resistance of R if the value of the current I in the figure is 0.50 A. ( i think it is related to no 2)

no 2. Calculate the resistance of R if the switch S is closed and the value of the current in
the resistor R2 is 0.0 A. (what i want to know)

Homework Equations

Kirchoff's Law (I & II) (i think i missed something because if that i can't solve this)
V = I R

The Attempt at a Solution

my thoughts are:
1.) what i thought is because the switch is open, the current will ignore R2 and E2, and just go through R and R1(R and R1 will be series)
that will be ez to find out R for no 1.
V / I = R
18 / 0.5 = 12+R
R = 24

2) when switch is closed, it has 2 battery and its voltage will be 18V (if both of the batteries have same voltage) but in this case its have different voltage.
after i search it, someone tell battery with higher voltage will destroy battery with lower voltage. then the voltage for this circuit just 18V.
and because higher voltage will destroy the lower one, how current flow for this circuit.and please correct me if I am wrong

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You will need to give us your thoughts and show some work before we can help. The template is there for a reason.

jbriggs444 said:
You will need to give us your thoughts and show some work before we can help. The template is there for a reason.

1.) what i thought is because the switch is open, the current will ignore R2 and E2, and just go through R and R1(R and R1 will be series)
V / I = R
18 / 0.5 = 12+R
R = 24

2) when switch is closed, it has 2 battery and its voltage will be 18V (if both of the batteries have same voltage) but in this case its have different voltage.
after i search it, someone tell battery with higher voltage will destroy battery with lower voltage. then the voltage for this circuit just 18V.
and because higher voltage will destroy the lower one, how current flow for this circuit.

and please correct me if I am wrong

FJay said:
V / I = R
18 / 0.5 = 12+R
R = 24
That looks good.
and because higher voltage will destroy the lower one, how current flow for this circuit.

and please correct me if I am wrong
No, the batteries are safe. There's resistors in the path of their currents which will limit the current flow and create potential drops between the batteries. It's only when (ideal) batteries of different voltages are directly connected in parallel that you need to worry about the current and power becoming unrealistic (heading to infinities).

Think about what conditions must exist for there to be no current drawn from E2 when its branch (E2 and R2 in series) is connected. What drives current in a circuit?

gneill said:
Think about what conditions must exist for there to be no current drawn from E2 when its branch (E2 and R2 in series) is connected. What drives current in a circuit?

I = V / R
if I = 0 with R = 4 then I = 0/4 that's mean on that R2 doesn't have more voltage (V=0) because all the voltage used by R3 ?

because the batteries have different voltage, the higher voltage will charge the lower one until they have same voltages. then Voltage on R3(after upper node), V = V1+V2 / 2 = 15V.

and before reach the upper node the V1 (left side battery) still have 18 Volt.

i think i need current flow illustration for this one :v
CMIIW.

is there any another formula ?

Last edited:
FJay said:
because all the voltage used by R3 ?
There is no R3 on the drawing. The phrase "voltage used" is troubling. Voltage is not something that is used up. Instead, "voltage" is the potential difference between two points. If no current is flowing across R2, that means that the potential difference between its two terminals is zero.
FJay said:
because the batteries have different voltage, the higher voltage will charge the lower one until they have same voltages
If there is no current flowing across R2, how much current is flowing across the right hand battery?

i get it now after searching some images.

because it has junctions we can Kirchhoffs Law I
I1 + I3 = I2, because I3 = 0 then I1=I2

using Kirchhoff's Law II find loop for both sides

E2 = I212 + 0*4 ---> 12 = 12I2 ---> I2 = 1

E1 = I1R + I212 ---> with I=1 ---> 18-12 = R, R=6 ohmsThx for your guidance

1. How do you calculate resistance when a switch is closed with two batteries of different voltage?

To calculate resistance in this scenario, you will need to use Ohm's Law, which states that resistance (R) is equal to voltage (V) divided by current (I). First, determine the total voltage by adding the voltage of the two batteries together. Then, measure the current flowing through the circuit. Finally, divide the total voltage by the current to find the resistance.

2. What units are used to measure resistance?

The standard unit for measuring resistance is ohms (Ω). However, in some cases, kilohms (kΩ) or megaohms (MΩ) may be used for larger values of resistance.

3. Can resistance change if the switch is closed with two batteries of different voltage?

Yes, the resistance can change in this scenario. The resistance of a material is dependent on the voltage and current in a circuit, so if the voltage changes, the resistance will also change. Additionally, the type and length of the material used can also impact its resistance.

4. How does the voltage of the batteries affect the resistance in the circuit?

The voltage of the batteries affects the resistance in the circuit because it determines the amount of current flowing through the circuit. A higher voltage will result in a higher current and therefore a lower resistance, while a lower voltage will result in a lower current and a higher resistance.

5. Is there a formula to calculate resistance in a circuit with multiple batteries and switches?

Yes, the formula to calculate resistance in a circuit with multiple batteries and switches is R = (V1 + V2 + ... + Vn) / I, where V1, V2, ... Vn are the voltages of the batteries and I is the current in the circuit. This formula is derived from Ohm's Law and can be used to calculate the total resistance in a circuit with multiple components.