Calculate River Width: Boat Width Problem

• Thread starter jasonchiang97
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Boat Width
In summary, the width of the river is 120.6 meters and the current speed is 6.00 meters/second. The distance traveled from one bank to the other is 91.84 meters. Traveling due north across the river, you reach the opposite bank in 20.1 seconds. For the return trip, you change the throttle setting so that the speed of the boat relative to the water is 8.20 meters/second. Traveling due south from one bank to the other and crossing the river in 11.2 seconds, the distance traveled is 120.6 + 91.84 = 248.0 meters.
jasonchiang97

Homework Statement

You are a member of a geological team in Central Africa. Your team comes upon a wide river that is flowing east. You must determine the width of the river and the current speed (the speed of the water relative to the earth). You have a small boat with an outboard motor. By measuring the time it takes to cross a pond where the water isn’t flowing, you have calibrated the throttle settings to the speed of the boat in still water. You set the throttle so that the speed of the boat relative to the river is a constant 6.00 m/s . Traveling due north across the river, you reach the opposite bank in 20.1 s . For the return trip, you change the throttle setting so that the speed of the boat relative to the water is 8.20 m/s . You travel due south from one bank to the other and cross the river in 11.2 s .

How wide is the river?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Honestly I don't even know where to start.
All I did was take the distance traveled by the two trips
D1=120.6m
D2=91.84m

Physics news on Phys.org
jasonchiang97 said:
Honestly I don't even know where to start.
Make a sketch of the situation.

jasonchiang97 said:
D1=120.6m
D2=91.84m

These are the distances you've made through the water, but you want to know the distances over ground. So you need a superposition of the velocity of the boat through water and the velocity of the river over ground. In the end for both directions you must have traveled the same distance (as the width of the river doesn't change).

Try to find the equations including the velocity of the river over ground (with the unknown vRiver).

Two equation like D = v ⋅ t

D ... distance over ground (real distance), must be the same for both cases as the width of the river doesn't change
t1,2 ... times you needed to cross the river
v1,2 .. velocities over ground consisting of the superposition of the boat speed through water + the speed of the river over ground

two equations, two unknowns - try to find the mathematical connection

hint: you also can solve it graphically using vectors

Hello!

I am also trying to figure out this problem and I don't understand what you guys mean about "superposition" or solving it with vectors. How do I go about setting up the equations?

Think triangles and vectors. The first vector will be pointing at a diagonal north and the second vector will point south.

melissa62442 said:
Hello!
I am also trying to figure out this problem and I don't understand what you guys mean about "superposition" or solving it with vectors. How do I go about setting up the equations?

Superposition: If you swimming in a river, you move with respect to the water, because you use the water as resistance to push yourself in one direction or the other. If now the water is moving with respect to the ground (which is natural for a river), you have to account for that to. To find your movement over ground (which is the crucial one to calculate how and when you will reach the other side) you have to sum up the your velocity in the water plus the velocity of the river over ground - that's meant with superposition.

Vectors. Now it is obvious, that if the speed of the river over ground and your speed in the water don't point in the same direction, you can't just add them without taking into account their directions (like scalars). Therefore you can use vectors. If you add the vectors for the two velocities taking into account their correct lengths AND directions, you'll find the final (net) speed of your boat over ground.

Regarding the equations: What have you already tried? Could you show any possibility for an attempt?

It does have a solution.

Likes cnh1995
In October 2015 DrClaude said:
Make a sketch of the situation.
That advice holds true for all vector problems. Yet here we see members still attempting this problem without reference to any figure. Why make vector problems difficult for yourself?

Draw two sketches, one for each crossing.
Once you have the vector diagram figured out, the problem is usually as good as solved!

Likes cnh1995

1. How do you calculate river width?

To calculate river width, you can use the boat width problem method. First, measure the boat width at the waterline and then measure the angle between the boat's sides and the riverbank. Then, use basic trigonometry to calculate the river width.

2. What is the boat width problem method?

The boat width problem method is a mathematical approach to calculate the width of a river. It involves measuring the boat width at the waterline and the angle between the boat's sides and the riverbank, and then using trigonometry to determine the river width.

3. Why is calculating river width important?

Calculating river width is important for various reasons. It can help with navigation, determining the size of bridges or structures that need to be built over the river, and assessing the potential for flooding or erosion along the riverbanks.

4. Are there any limitations to using the boat width problem method?

Yes, there are limitations to using the boat width problem method. The method assumes a uniform riverbank and a perfectly straight boat. It also does not take into account factors such as tides, currents, or wind, which can affect the accuracy of the calculation.

5. Can the boat width problem method be used for all types of rivers?

The boat width problem method can be used for most rivers, as long as the riverbank is relatively straight and the water depth is not too shallow or too deep. However, for irregular or highly curved rivers, this method may not provide accurate results.