How Fast Does a Tornado Travel If Lightning Strikes Twice?

In summary, the question asks for the average speed of a tornado that is seen moving towards a group of researchers. Using the distance formula V = x/t, the first lightning strike is determined to be 6800 meters away and the second strike is 6120 meters away, indicating that the storm moved 680 meters closer in the 40 seconds between strikes. This results in an average speed of 17m/s for the tornado.
**Mariam**

Homework Statement

Some tornado researchers see a faraway tornado moving straight toward them. They see a bolt of lightning from the cloud above the tornado and 20 seconds later hear thunder. Exactly 40 seconds after seeing the first lightning , they sees second bolt and hear the sound thunder 18 seconds later. If the speed of sound in air is 340 m/s. The average speed of the tornado is nearly:

17m/s
34 m/s
150 m/s
310 m/s
680m/s

Homework Equations

V=x/t

The Attempt at a Solution

We can say that the lightning and the tornado are moving together. So when lightning occur that's exactly where the storm is.
So in first part, sound takes 20 seconds to reach. For a distance of 340*20= 6800 m
Then there is a 20 second of no thunder or lightning.
(I don't know what to do from here)

Physics news on Phys.org
Light from the storm reaches you almost instantaneously. The sound, traveling at 340 m/s arrives 20 s later so, as you say, the lightning must have occurred 340*20= 6800 meters away. Now do the same thing for the second lightning. How far from you was that second lightning? So how far did the storm move during those 40 seconds? How fast was it moving?

The 40 seconds separation time and the two sound travel times are independent of each other. One indicates the time between the two strikes and the others are the distances from the strikes to you.

HallsofIvy said:
Light from the storm reaches you almost instantaneously. The sound, traveling at 340 m/s arrives 20 s later so, as you say, the lightning must have occurred 340*20= 6800 meters away. Now do the same thing for the second lightning. How far from you was that second lightning? So how far did the storm move during those 40 seconds? How fast was it moving?
In 18 seconds it moved 6120 m.
So did the storm move 680 m?
680/40= 17m/s

That is not correct method. The you need to calculate the difference in the distance between the first strike and the second strike based upon the different times the sound traveled.

JBA said:
That is not correct method. The you need to calculate the difference in the distance between the first strike and the second strike based upon the different times the sound traveled.
Like how? Cause what I understood from your scentence is that it is the same as what I did

**Mariam** said:
Like how? Cause what I understood from your scentence is that it is the same as what I did

You calculated the first distance (from your location to the tornado) as D1 = 340*20= 6800 m. Why can't you calculate the second distance D2 in a similar way?

Ray Vickson said:
You calculated the first distance (from your location to the tornado) as D1 = 340*20= 6800 m. Why can't you calculate the second distance D2 in a similar way?

18*340=6120 m

Then I subtracted 6800-6120= 680m
to find the distance the tornado moved.
What am I missing?

**Mariam** said:
18*340=6120 m

Then I subtracted 6800-6120= 680m
to find the distance the tornado moved.
What am I missing?

You are missing the speed calculation for the tornado, which is what the question asked for.

**Mariam** said:
680/40= 17m/s

That's correct. I think you may have confused people by your statement "it moved 6120 m." I don't think that's what you meant.

**Mariam** said:
In 18 seconds, the sound of the lightning flash moved 6120 m. Was that what you meant?

Yes, at the first flash the storm was 6800 m from you. At the second flash the storm was 6120 m from you so in the 40 seconds between flashes it had moved 6800- 6120= 680 meters closer to you.

680 m/40 s= 17m/s

1. What is the formula for calculating the speed of a tornado?

The formula for calculating the speed of a tornado is V = (EF^0.5) * 18.5, where V is the speed in miles per hour and EF is the Enhanced Fujita scale rating of the tornado.

2. How is the Enhanced Fujita scale used to calculate the speed of a tornado?

The Enhanced Fujita scale is used to estimate the wind speeds of a tornado based on the damage it causes. The scale ranges from EF0 to EF5, with EF0 being the weakest and EF5 being the strongest. The wind speed range for each category is then used in the speed formula to calculate the tornado's speed.

3. Can the speed of a tornado be accurately calculated?

While the speed of a tornado can be estimated using the Enhanced Fujita scale and the speed formula, it is important to note that these are just estimates. Tornadoes are dynamic and constantly changing, making it difficult to accurately measure their speed.

4. Why is it important to calculate the speed of a tornado?

Calculating the speed of a tornado can help meteorologists and emergency management officials better understand the potential damage and impact of the tornado. It can also aid in issuing more accurate and timely warnings to those in the path of the tornado.

5. Are there any other methods for calculating the speed of a tornado?

In addition to using the Enhanced Fujita scale and the speed formula, scientists also use Doppler radar to track the speed and direction of a tornado. This method is more accurate and can provide real-time information on the speed and movement of the tornado.