Calculate speed without distance

They consider it rude.In summary, during the World Series, a ball is hit straight up from the batter's box and reaches a height of 295 ft. Neglecting air friction, the speed of the baseball when caught by the catcher at the same height it was hit cannot be determined without additional information or assumptions.
Tiffaney Sporl
During the world series a ball is hit straight up from the batter's box and reaches a height of 295 ft. Neglecting air friction, what speed (mph) will the baseball attain if it is caught by the catcher at the same height it was hit?

Physics news on Phys.org
Tiffaney Sporl said:
During the world series a ball is hit straight up from the batter's box and reaches a height of 295 ft. Neglecting air friction, what speed (mph) will the baseball attain if it is caught by the catcher at the same height it was hit?
You've got to show an attempt at solving your own problem in order to receive help.

Also, PF Rules require that you use the HW Template when posting HW problems.

I have this same problem and I've tried a few things but I can't get it either. Should I make another post or show my work here?

GregoryG. said:
I have this same problem and I've tried a few things but I can't get it either. Should I make another post or show my work here?
Yes. PF does not allow members to hijack other's threads.

1. How do you calculate speed without knowing the distance?

To calculate speed without knowing the distance, you need to know the time that it takes for the object to travel. Then, you can use the formula speed = distance / time. Rearranging the formula, we get distance = speed x time.

2. Can you calculate speed if you only have the distance and time?

Yes, you can calculate the speed if you have the distance and time. You can use the formula speed = distance / time.

3. What units are used to measure speed?

Speed is typically measured in units of distance over time, such as meters per second (m/s), kilometers per hour (km/h), or miles per hour (mph).

4. Is it possible to calculate speed without using any formulas?

No, it is not possible to calculate speed without using any formulas. The formula speed = distance / time is a mathematical equation that is necessary to calculate speed accurately.

5. Can you calculate speed without knowing the time?

No, you cannot calculate speed without knowing the time. The time taken for an object to travel is an essential component in the formula speed = distance / time. Without the time value, the calculation of speed is not possible.