Calculate standard enthelpy of change and find heat from one reactant

In summary: The conversion factor would be 1648.4 kJ/2 mole iron oxide. 15.0g Fe would convert to 22.2g Fe and 22.2g Fe would convert to 64.8g Fe.
biochem850

Homework Statement

Chemical hand warmers produce heat when they're removed form their airtight plastic wrappers. These hand warmers utilize the oxidation of iron to form iron oxide. Calculate standard change of enthalpy for reaction and compute how much heat is produced from a warmer containing 15.0g Fe?

Homework Equations

Summation notation involving products and reactants to calculate standard enthalpy of change

The Attempt at a Solution

[2(-824.2kj/mol)]-[4(0)+3(0)]= -16484.4kJ/mol iron oxide

I used the stochiometric relationships of the equation of iron+oxygen---> iron oxide to convert grams to moles of iron to moles of iron oxide and used the predetermined standard change of enthalpy and I got -221kJ emitted but the correct answer is -111kJ emitted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
biochem850 said:
[2(-824.2kj/mol)]-[4(0)+3(0)]= -16484.4kJ/mol iron oxide

Bolding mine. This is a correct stoichiometric coefficient, but you can't use 2 moles and claim the result is per one mole.

And it is 1648.4 kJ, not 16484.4kJ, but that's probably just a typo.

Borek said:
Bolding mine. This is a correct stoichiometric coefficient, but you can't use 2 moles and claim the result is per one mole.

And it is 1648.4 kJ, not 16484.4kJ, but that's probably just a typo.

Please forgive me (I'm usually quite good with chemistry but I've been reviewing thermochemistry all day). If I'm understanding what your saying, you would change the conversion factor from 1648.4 kJ/mole to 1648.4 kJ/2 mole iron oxide and use this relationship to convert from 15.0g Fe to moles of Fe to moles of iron oxide and then employ the determined relationship.

I've arrived at the correct answer but I want to be sure my logic is sound (I'm almost done reviewing thermochemistry and I want to move on to the Quantum mechanical model of atoms).

Thanks for your help!

biochem850 said:
If I'm understanding what your saying, you would change the conversion factor from 1648.4 kJ/mole to 1648.4 kJ/2 mole iron oxide and use this relationship to convert from 15.0g Fe to moles of Fe to moles of iron oxide and then employ the determined relationship.

And you are understanding correctly.

Please help.

I would first check the values and equations used in the attempted solution to ensure they are correct. It is possible that a mistake was made in converting grams to moles or in using the standard enthalpy values. I would also double check the reaction equation to ensure it is balanced and that the correct values are being used for the coefficients.

If the calculations were done correctly, I would then consider other factors that may affect the heat produced by the hand warmer, such as the efficiency of the reaction and any heat losses to the environment. It is possible that the hand warmer may not produce the exact amount of heat as calculated due to these factors.

In order to accurately determine the heat produced by the hand warmer, I would suggest conducting an actual experiment and measuring the heat output using a calorimeter. This would provide a more precise and accurate result. Additionally, it would also be helpful to compare the calculated value with the actual measured value to determine the accuracy of the calculations.

What is the standard enthalpy of change?

The standard enthalpy of change is a measure of the amount of heat that is absorbed or released during a chemical reaction under standard conditions (25°C and 1 atm). It is represented by the symbol ΔH° and is typically expressed in units of kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol).

How do you calculate the standard enthalpy of change?

The standard enthalpy of change can be calculated by subtracting the sum of the standard enthalpies of the products from the sum of the standard enthalpies of the reactants. This can be represented by the equation: ΔH° = ΣH°(products) - ΣH°(reactants). The values for the standard enthalpies can be found in a reference table.

What is the unit for standard enthalpy of change?

The unit for standard enthalpy of change is kilojoules per mole (kJ/mol). This represents the amount of heat that is absorbed or released for every mole of reactant that is consumed or formed during a chemical reaction under standard conditions.

What is the relationship between standard enthalpy of change and heat?

The standard enthalpy of change and heat are directly related to each other. The standard enthalpy of change represents the amount of heat that is absorbed or released during a chemical reaction under standard conditions, while heat is the transfer of energy between two objects due to a temperature difference. Therefore, the standard enthalpy of change can be used to calculate the amount of heat involved in a chemical reaction.

How can I find the heat from one reactant using the standard enthalpy of change?

To find the heat from one reactant, you can use the equation Q = ΔH° * n, where Q represents the heat, ΔH° is the standard enthalpy of change, and n is the number of moles of the reactant. This equation allows you to calculate the amount of heat that is absorbed or released from a specific amount of reactant during a chemical reaction under standard conditions.