Calculate Temperature of 1 Solar Mass Black Hole

• Thread starter Crush1986
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blackhole
In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the temperature of a one solar mass black hole using equations involving entropy, energy, and temperature. The first attempt at a solution yielded an incorrect result due to not factoring out all related variables. The conversation then suggests using the chain rule to correctly solve the problem. The individual thanks the other for the clarification and notes the usefulness of revisiting old problems with new knowledge.
Crush1986

Homework Statement

The problem is to calculate the temperature of a one solar mass black hole

Homework Equations

[tex] S = \frac{8\pi^2GM^2k}{hc} [/tex]
[tex] E = Mc^2 [/tex]
[tex] \frac{1}{T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial U} [/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
My first solution I pulled out an [tex] Mc^2 [/tex] Which left my equation looking like [tex] S = \frac{k8\pi^2GM} {hc}*U [/tex] and did the partial derivative with respect to U of the entropy equation. I found that I was off by a factor of two (I think, I don't for sure know the right answer but some friends got answers 1/2 as much as my answer).

I think I know why and I just want to check out my reasoning. By only factoring out one U instead of U^2 I left an M in the equation. But M and U are intricately related right? So I must take out a U^2 in order to take out all of the M's in the original equation. It is only then that I get the correct result (That being 6.14 *10^-8 K, which I believe to be right but I'm also not entirely sure.)

Does this sound like a reasonable conclusion as to why I'm probably wrong?

Thank you for any help you can offer!

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot that through ##E=Mc^2## you have to use that ##\frac{\partial M}{\partial U}## also contributes to the derivative.
Then you get the right result.

Another approach you can use is using the chain rule.
Then you can write ##\frac{1}{T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\frac{\partial M}{\partial U}##.
Usually I would go for this.
In this case the relation between E and M is simple but for harder problems (in possibly other domains) the algebraic manipulations can get ugly real quick increasing the probabilities of mistakes.

JorisL said:
You forgot that through ##E=Mc^2## you have to use that ##\frac{\partial M}{\partial U}## also contributes to the derivative.
Then you get the right result.

Another approach you can use is using the chain rule.
Then you can write ##\frac{1}{T} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial U} = \frac{\partial S}{\partial M}\frac{\partial M}{\partial U}##.
Usually I would go for this.
In this case the relation between E and M is simple but for harder problems (in possibly other domains) the algebraic manipulations can get ugly real quick increasing the probabilities of mistakes.
This is so late I know, but, THANK YOU!

I didn't quite get it at the time... I mean I knew of the chain rule, I just never really recognized when to use it until JUST now.

I've been shredding through a lot of problems tonight remembering to keep this little mathematical tool in my pocket.

Crush1986 said:
This is so late I know, but, THANK YOU!

I didn't quite get it at the time... I mean I knew of the chain rule, I just never really recognized when to use it until JUST now.

I've been shredding through a lot of problems tonight remembering to keep this little mathematical tool in my pocket.

Your welcome. It's useful to look back at old problems whenever you learn something new.
This helps you selecting suitable tools further on.

1. How is the temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole calculated?

The temperature of a black hole is calculated using the Hawking radiation formula, which takes into account the mass, surface area, and fundamental constants of the black hole. For a 1 solar mass black hole, the temperature would be approximately 6.17 x 10^-8 Kelvin.

2. What factors affect the temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole?

The temperature of a black hole is primarily affected by its mass, but it can also be influenced by its spin and charge. A 1 solar mass black hole would have a relatively low temperature compared to larger black holes due to its smaller mass.

3. Can the temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole be measured?

Since black holes do not emit light, their temperature cannot be directly measured. However, the effects of Hawking radiation can be observed, providing indirect evidence for the temperature of a black hole.

4. How does the temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole compare to other objects in the universe?

The temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole is extremely low compared to other objects in the universe. For example, the temperature at the surface of the Sun is approximately 5,778 Kelvin, making it millions of times hotter than a black hole of the same mass.

5. Can the temperature of a 1 solar mass black hole change over time?

Yes, the temperature of a black hole can change over time as it gains or loses mass, or as its spin or charge changes. However, for a 1 solar mass black hole, these changes would be negligible and difficult to detect.