Calculate Tension in Rope: Principle of Moments Homework

In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the tension in a rope in a diagram by balancing the torques generated by the mass and the force line from the rope. After calculating, there is a discrepancy between the expected tension of 100N and the calculated tension of 92N, which is later found to be due to a simple arithmetic error.
Marcus27

Homework Statement

Calculate the tension in the rope, T, in the diagram below: http://imageshack.com/a/img905/2848/yMC01l.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The 'beam' is a stable structure, thus the resultant forces be equal that are acting upon the beam. So,
I calculated the the Torque from the mass as being 150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m = 110 Nm, setting this equal to the Torque generated by the 'force line' from the rope, T*1.2m = 110Nm, thus T rounded to the nearest Newton is = 92N. I Felt fairly confident with this until my textbook said the tension in the rope is = to 100N. Can anybody clear this up for me and explain where I went wrong, Thanks!.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Marcus27 said:
150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m = 110 Nm
Check your arithmetic, that's "the usual suspect."

Ah, thank you. I did not spot that mistake, sorry for wasting your time. Not a great first post on my part o:)

Do not let it ruin your day --- we've all been there.

Dear student,

Your approach to calculating the tension in the rope is correct. The principle of moments states that the sum of clockwise moments must be equal to the sum of counterclockwise moments in a stable structure. In this case, the clockwise moment is generated by the weight of the mass (150N * 0.6m + 100N * 0.3m) and the counterclockwise moment is generated by the tension in the rope (T * 1.2m). Setting these two moments equal to each other, we can solve for T and get a value of 92N, as you did.

It is possible that your textbook has a different value for the weight of the mass (e.g. 120N instead of 150N), which would result in a different value for the tension in the rope. It is also possible that there is a rounding error in the textbook's answer.

In any case, your approach is correct and you should feel confident in your solution. Keep up the good work in your studies of physics!

Best regards,

1. What is the principle of moments?

The principle of moments, also known as the law of moments, states that the total clockwise moment in a system is equal to the total anticlockwise moment. This means that if a system is balanced, the sum of the moments acting on it will be zero.

2. How do you calculate tension in a rope using the principle of moments?

To calculate tension in a rope using the principle of moments, you need to first find the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the rope is attached. Then, multiply this distance by the weight of the object on the other side of the rope. This will give you the moment caused by the weight. Finally, divide this moment by the distance between the point of rotation and the point where the rope is attached to find the tension in the rope.

3. What are the units of measurement for tension in a rope?

The units of measurement for tension in a rope are typically newtons (N) or pounds (lb). These units represent the force being applied by the rope.

4. Can the principle of moments be applied to any system?

Yes, the principle of moments can be applied to any system, as long as the system is in equilibrium. This means that all the forces and moments acting on the system must be balanced and cancel each other out.

5. How does the angle of the rope affect the tension?

The angle of the rope affects the tension by changing the effective distance between the point of rotation and the point where the rope is attached. The greater the angle, the longer the effective distance, and therefore the greater the tension in the rope.