Calculate the amount of heat supplied to a gas

• Thread starter MisterP
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Gas Heat
In summary, the conversation is discussing how to calculate the amount of heat supplied to a multi-atomic gas that is heated for 100K under free expansion conditions. The formula for calculating the heat supplied is given as Q = ΔH = nCpΔT, where n is the number of moles, Cp is the molar heat capacity of the gas, and ΔT is the change in temperature. However, the person asking the question does not have any information about the gas except for the temperature and the number of moles. After some discussion and calculations, they find that the correct value for Cp is xR, where x is the number of degrees of freedom and R is a constant. They also discover that x =
MisterP

Homework Statement

1kmol of multatomy(I hope you understand - gas with many atoms) gas is heated for 100K (conditions of free expansion). I have to calculate the amount of heat supplied to gas. I have no idea how to do it. The right answer is 3320kJ

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your definition of free expansion conditions?

Chestermiller said:
What is your definition of free expansion conditions?
I do not have any definition. It is said in the task. I guess it means, there is nothing influencing the expansion of gas.

MisterP said:
I do not have any definition. It is said in the task. I guess it means, there is nothing influencing the expansion of gas.
Usually, free expansion is defined as expansion into a vacuum. However, I don't think that is what was intended here. I think what was intended here is expansion against a constant pressure equal to the initial pressure of the gas. If that were the case, then the amount of heat supplied would be equal to the change in enthalpy of the gas. This is given by $$Q=\Delta H=nC_p\Delta T$$where n is the number of moles and ##C_p## is the molar heat capacity of the gas. Are you given no information about the gas? If not, from the answer they gave, what is the molar heat capacity of the gas?

Chestermiller said:
If not, from the answer they gave, what is the molar heat capacity of the gas?
There is nothing more.. Just the temperature - 100K (how much it was risen) and 1kmole, that`s it.. Maybe the fact that it is multi-atom gas changes something?

MisterP said:
There is nothing more.. Just the temperature - 100K (how much it was risen) and 1kmole, that`s it.. Maybe the fact that it is multi-atom gas changes something?
Not really. What do you calculate for Cp? That might tell us something.

I really do not know.. :(
Edit: or c = Q / (mΔT). ??
But that won`t help..

MisterP said:
I really do not know.. :(
Edit: or c = Q / (mΔT). ??
But that won`t help..
Let's see the number you get using their answer.

I do not get it. I have not been solving these types of tasks since I was in high school, that's around 13 years ago and now they through all the themes on basic physics and I have to solve this "easily" they say ..

MisterP said:
I do not get it. I have not been solving these types of tasks since I was in high school, that's around 13 years ago and now they through all the themes on basic physics and I have to solve this "easily" they say ..
Dues the equation I wrote make sense to you? What course is this for?

We had 3 day course on physics - starting mechanics, energy, oscilations, molecular physics, thermodynamics, electrics. I am studying electric engeneering and so, there is this fast course on physics, just for a check. I do understand Your formula, but I do not have Cp.

MisterP said:
We had 3 day course on physics - starting mechanics, energy, oscilations, molecular physics, thermodynamics, electrics. I am studying electric engeneering and so, there is this fast course on physics, just for a check. I do understand Your formula, but I do not have Cp.
We are trying to "back out" the value of Cp from the answer they gave to see if we can make any sense out of it.

So, I found this. E = x*n*R*T
If x = 4, then I get right answer, but I do not know if this is right. But I have seen that x is 3.
n - moles
R - 8.3 constant
T - temperature

Edit: x = i/2+1
i = 6 for multi atomic gases, so that is how to get 4 and seems like this formula works :)

Last edited:
MisterP said:
So, I found this. E = x*n*R*T
If x = 4, then I get right answer, but I do not know if this is right. But I have seen that x is 3.
n - moles
R - 8.3 constant
T - temperature

Edit: x = i/2+1
i = 6 for multi atomic gases, so that is how to get 4 and seems like this formula works :)
Very nice.

This is pretty much where I was trying to get you to head (although you didn't appear to want to participate), except the equation should be the same as in my post #2 with ##C_p=xR##.

For oxygen and nitrogen, x = 3.5 and i=5, and for carbon dioxide, x = 4.4 and i is about equal to 7. So I guess, in your source, they assign generic values of x = 4 and i = 6 to what they call a generic polyatomic gas.

Likes MisterP

1. How do you calculate the amount of heat supplied to a gas?

The amount of heat supplied to a gas can be calculated using the formula Q = mcΔT, where Q is the amount of heat supplied, m is the mass of the gas, c is the specific heat capacity of the gas, and ΔT is the change in temperature.

2. What is the specific heat capacity of a gas?

The specific heat capacity of a gas is the amount of heat required to raise the temperature of one unit mass of the gas by one degree Celsius.

3. How do you determine the mass of a gas?

The mass of a gas can be determined by using a scale or by measuring the volume of the gas and using the ideal gas law equation, PV = nRT, where P is the pressure of the gas, V is the volume, n is the number of moles, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

4. What units are used for specific heat capacity and temperature?

The units for specific heat capacity are typically Joules per kilogram per Kelvin (J/kg/K). Temperature can be measured in Kelvin (K) or degrees Celsius (°C).

5. Can this formula be used for all types of gases?

Yes, this formula can be used for all types of gases as long as the specific heat capacity is known. However, for gases that undergo phase changes, such as water vapor, an additional term may need to be added to the formula to account for the heat of vaporization or condensation.