Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

In summary, the task is to calculate the average power delivered by a human heart during a heartbeat, with a given overpressure of 16 kPa in the outwardgoing arteries and a blood flow rate of 5 liters per minute. The equations for energy, work, force, and displacement are provided, but the exact method for solving the problem is unclear. The student is seeking guidance on how to approach the problem and is not looking for the answer to be provided.
Hangst

Homework Statement

When a human heart during a heartbeat pulls together the overpressure in the outwardgoing arteries is about 16 kPa. Every minute the heart drives 5 liters of blood around in the bloodstream.

Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not entirely sure how to tackle this question. I'm trying to figure out the energy as power is energy pr. time. Also, I'm not entirely sure what to do with the pressure, I'm thinking I have to convert it into something to do with energy. Sorry about the poor translation but that is as best as I can do. I'd appreciate some help but not the actual question done so I can attempt it myself.

Physics news on Phys.org
Energy = Work = Force x displacement

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

Dickfore said:

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

Not sure what you mean by displacement. Lost in translation I guess :l

Hangst said:
Not sure what you mean by displacement. Lost in translation I guess :l

How far the blood travels or? And I'm not sure how I'm supposed to use this.

Dickfore said:

Force = Pressure x Area

Area x Displacement = ?

Perhaps you could show me what to do, and maybe I will understand it then?

Related to Calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers

1. How do you calculate the average amount of power that the heart delivers?

The average amount of power that the heart delivers can be calculated by dividing the cardiac output (the amount of blood pumped by the heart in one minute) by the mean arterial pressure (the average pressure in the arteries during one cardiac cycle).

2. What is the unit of measurement for the average amount of power delivered by the heart?

The unit of measurement for the average amount of power delivered by the heart is watts (W). It can also be expressed in horsepower (hp) or joules per second (J/s).

3. What factors can affect the average amount of power delivered by the heart?

The average amount of power delivered by the heart can be affected by various factors such as age, overall health, physical fitness, and any cardiovascular conditions or diseases.

4. Is there a normal range for the average amount of power delivered by the heart?

Yes, there is a normal range for the average amount of power delivered by the heart. In healthy adults, the average power output of the heart is around 1.3 watts (W) or 0.00175 horsepower (hp).

5. Why is it important to calculate the average amount of power delivered by the heart?

Calculating the average amount of power delivered by the heart can provide valuable information about the overall function and health of the heart. It can also help diagnose any abnormalities or issues with the heart's pumping ability, and aid in the treatment and management of cardiovascular diseases.