Calculate the characteristics of this compression spring

In summary: I'm having trouble understanding the problem. Can you please clarify it for me?In summary, the friction force between the rope and the two supports is μ N. The static frictional force is related to the static friction coefficient by the equation μ N = (μ s - μ r ) where μ s is the static friction coefficient of the support surface and μ r is the static friction coefficient of the rope.
bravopipo

Homework Statement

Hello;

I have as shown in the picture, a rope (in green), this rope is located between a support A and a support B. The Support A doesn't move and attached to the ground. The support B apply a force F1 against the rope, this force is made by a helical compression spring.
Because there is a friction between the rope and the two supports A and B, and because the spring push B toward A so we conclude that much the force F1 increase much it is harder to overcome the friction and move the rope.

The question is: How can I calculate the force F1 required to achieve a minimum overcome force T1 of 200 Newtons ? what I mean by this, is what characteristics the spring should have in order to generate a pushing force F1 that require at minimum 200 Newtons applied to the rope in order to move it ?
If the problem is difficult, may someone please give me a link to a similar problem to seek a solution.
1. Coefficient of friction Rope/Support : u
2. Rope diameter : d
3. Weight of support B : Neglected
rspring.png

Homework Equations

1. Simple spring equation.
2. Friction force between rope and two supports.

The Attempt at a Solution

Neglect the weight of support B, and suppose the contact area between rope and the two supports is A, otherwise I don't know.

Thank You.

Attachments

• rspring.png
    rspring.png
    2 KB · Views: 711
Physics news on Phys.org
So if we neglect the weight of B, then the force exerted on the rope is N = kx, k being the spring constant and x the compression of the spring, Then the friction force opposing the motion of the rope is μ N on both the top and bottom of the rope. That should give you a start on solving your problem.

Dr Dr news said:
So if we neglect the weight of B, then
I know you are keen to help, but please try to give less away. E.g. see my response below.

Don't worry about the spring for now. Concentrate on the section of rope between the supports.
Draw a free body diagram for that. What are the forces on it?
What equation relates static frictional force to static friction coefficient?

1. What are the key factors that determine the characteristics of a compression spring?

The key factors that determine the characteristics of a compression spring are the material used, the wire diameter, the coil diameter, the number of coils, and the free length of the spring. These factors affect the spring's strength, stiffness, and resilience.

2. How do you calculate the spring rate of a compression spring?

The spring rate of a compression spring is calculated by dividing the load or force required to compress the spring by the distance the spring is compressed. This can be represented by the formula: Spring Rate = Load / Distance.

3. Can the characteristics of a compression spring be altered?

Yes, the characteristics of a compression spring can be altered by changing the key factors such as the wire diameter, coil diameter, and number of coils. Different materials can also be used to achieve desired characteristics.

4. How do you measure the strength of a compression spring?

The strength of a compression spring can be measured by determining the maximum load or force it can withstand before it permanently deforms. This is known as the spring's yield strength and can be calculated by dividing the maximum load by the spring's cross-sectional area.

5. What is the importance of calculating the characteristics of a compression spring?

Calculating the characteristics of a compression spring is important in order to ensure that the spring is suitable for its intended application. By knowing the spring rate, strength, and other characteristics, engineers can design and select the right spring for their specific needs, ensuring optimal performance and safety.