Calculate the circumference/diameter in this relativistic problem

• Thread starter LCSphysicist
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Relativistic
This is not the circumference of the circle. As I said, please reread post #2 carefully.Yes, you are right, I was not calculating the circumference. I was calculating the proper time for a complete turn. I am sorry, I misunderstood the question. Thank you for pointing out my mistake.
LCSphysicist
Homework Statement
> A record turntable of radius $R$ rotates at angular velocity $w$ (Fig.
> 12.15). The circumference is presumably Lorentz-contracted, but the radius (being perpendicular to the velocity) is not. What's the ratio
> of the circumference to the diameter, in terms of $w$ and $R$?
Relevant Equations
$$ds^2 = dt^2 - r^2 d\theta^2 = d\theta^2((dt/d\theta)^2-r^2) = d\theta^2((1/w)^2-r^2)$$ $$C = \Delta S = \int ds = \int \sqrt{(1/w^2-r^2)}d\theta = 2\pi \sqrt{(1/w^2-r^2)} $$ $$C/2r = \frac{\pi \sqrt{(1/w^2-r^2)}}{r} = \pi \sqrt{\frac{1}{(wr)^2}-1}$$

But this answer is wrong. And i don't know why. I can't see the problem on my reasoning. I have just calculated the distance at the rotating reference frame.

Physics news on Phys.org
Herculi said:
I have just calculated the distance at the rotating reference frame.
No, you have not. You have computed the proper time taken for an observer situated at the edge to complete a full turn and divided it by ##2r##.

Likes LCSphysicist

1. How do I calculate the circumference in a relativistic problem?

To calculate the circumference in a relativistic problem, you can use the formula C = 2πr, where C is the circumference and r is the radius. However, in a relativistic context, the radius may be affected by time dilation and length contraction, so you may need to take those factors into account in your calculation.

2. What is the formula for calculating the diameter in a relativistic problem?

The formula for calculating the diameter in a relativistic problem is D = 2r, where D is the diameter and r is the radius. Again, in a relativistic context, the radius may be affected by time dilation and length contraction, so you may need to adjust your calculation accordingly.

3. How does relativity impact the calculation of circumference and diameter?

Relativity can impact the calculation of circumference and diameter in a few ways. First, time dilation can cause the radius to appear longer, which would affect the circumference and diameter calculations. Additionally, length contraction can cause the radius to appear shorter, also affecting the calculations. It is important to take these factors into consideration when solving relativistic problems involving circumference and diameter.

4. What is the significance of calculating circumference and diameter in a relativistic problem?

Calculating circumference and diameter in a relativistic problem can help us understand the effects of relativity on spatial measurements. It can also provide insight into the behavior of objects moving at high speeds, such as particles in a particle accelerator or spacecraft traveling at near-light speeds.

5. Are there any limitations to using the standard formulas for calculating circumference and diameter in a relativistic problem?

Yes, there are limitations to using the standard formulas for calculating circumference and diameter in a relativistic problem. These formulas were developed for non-relativistic situations and do not take into account the effects of time dilation and length contraction. In order to accurately calculate these measurements in a relativistic context, more complex equations and adjustments may be necessary.